US universities/colleges still suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here are the top 500 universities in the world

who cares about CS. they all need management to actually communicate what they are saying, because a) 9/10 of them have no people skills, and b) live inside little boxes. maybe they should need to minor in communications or something.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Or don't participate. I know a number of math competitions on which my school does not rank well because it doesn't emphasize them - but on most it completely owns.
      I don't see why they wouldn't participate. Not only does the school get free IBM systems worth a lot of money if they make it to the finals, but they also get the publicity/prestige from it (like it or not, these contests are watched closely both by academia and industry recruiters). They also get a free trip to somewhere exotic for a week, expenses paid (last year Hawaii, this year China) and an unbelievable networking chance with lots of industry experts.

You'd have to be mind-numbigly stupid not to give up at least a weekend to participate.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

who cares about CS. they all need management to actually communicate what they are saying, because a) 9/10 of them have no people skills, and b) live inside little boxes. maybe they should need to minor in communications or something.
        The most inept managers in the technology world are people like you and Agathon.

You have the wrong stereotype of compsci majors as geeks with aspergers -- most of them are normal people that can not only do your job, but do something useful and demanded technically.

That's why they get paid more than you do.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

CS is math. I'm sure Aggie also thinks Newton didn't really need any original thought either...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            CS is math. I'm sure Aggie also thinks Newton didn't really need any original thought either...
            Yep, CS is usually part of the mathematics faculty. Until relatively recently, my school gave out CS degrees as math degrees with a concentration in Computational Science...

CS takes a lot of pure math, and a lot of applied math, and very strong analytical and problem-solving abilities. It requires loads of original thought.

Agathon is confusing CS with computer programming courses you take in high school or at the community college.

A good CS school won't have a programming course past the first year...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

*cough*
              Yeah, it's kind of hard to take a study seriously that makes SUCH an error.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

WOOT!

My undergrad college is 44th in the World in that study .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

The most inept managers in the technology world are people like you and Agathon.
                  you guys site in the cubical and do all the grunt work. i take the numbers and use them. so in the end, im using you. aaah, what a great feeling.

You have the wrong stereotype of compsci majors as geeks with aspergers -- most of them are normal people that can not only do your job, but do something useful and demanded technically.
                  normal my ass!! the only majors with more mental issues are psych majors. if you think CS majors are normal, you gotta get outta that cubical.

most of them are normal people that can not only do your job, but do something useful and demanded technically.
                  no, i would disagree. Not only can they not communicate with others (Thus eliminating the majority of management positions) they also cant cook, drive, clean, do any atheltic sports, or do biology, economics, psychology, or even make coffee.

That's why they get paid more than you do.

they get paid more then I do because im not willing to sit in a dark hole all day. . and soon, all you guys will be outsourced to India anyways, and then you'll be paid less.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Yeah, it's kind of hard to take a study seriously that makes SUCH an error.
                    What study? This ain't a study.

And that error was mine, I added the countries and goofed on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Yep, CS is usually part of the mathematics faculty. Until relatively recently, my school gave out CS degrees as math degrees with a concentration in Computational Science...

CS takes a lot of pure math, and a lot of applied math, and very strong analytical and problem-solving abilities. It requires loads of original thought.

Agathon is confusing CS with computer programming courses you take in high school or at the community college.

A good CS school won't have a programming course past the first year...
                      I believe Aggie think that math just has to do with adding and multiplying numbers, which also requires no original thought.

Comment

I'll be damned, my university (University of Idaho) actually made it in the top 500 in the world! I find that hard to believe though... Not that it’s a bad university or anything but out of the thousands of universities in the world, Idaho actually is near the top?

Comment

you guys site in the cubical and do all the grunt work. i take the numbers and use them. so in the end, im using you. aaah, what a great feeling.
                          normal my ass!! the only majors with more mental issues are psych majors. if you think CS majors are normal, you gotta get outta that cubical.
                          Most CS majors are normal people. Skaters, stoners, nerds, slackers...all of the above.

they get paid more then I do because im not willing to sit in a dark hole all day. . and soon, all you guys will be outsourced to India anyways, and then you'll be paid less.
                          See, people like you don't understand the industry.

I deal with this first hand -- IBMers in India and customers for American tech companies with Indian employees all the time. The kind of jobs outsourced to India should scare the kids taking programming courses at their community college, but not university-degree software engineers/computer scientists. That's why our salaries keep going up, even though I hear all of the dumbass management students saying my job is going to India.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              What study? This ain't a study.

And that error was mine, I added the countries and goofed on that one.
                              Ah, so I can add this to the reasons why your claims of intellectual superiority are incorrect

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                Ah, so I can add this to the reasons why your claims of intellectual superiority are incorrect
                                Someone with intellect realizes knowledge and intellect are not the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X