Best (scariest) horror flick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best (scariest) horror flick?

I want to see a goodun. Any suggestions?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Dawn of the Dead (2004). Certainly qualifies for a horror. One of the best remakes I've ever seen (though not necessarily for the scare factor.)

Horror isn't really my forte, but some of the best I've seen include:

Jaws
    The Exorcist
    The Shining
    Halloween
    Poltergeist
    Anything with Christopher Walken
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

when a stranger calls
      halloween
      amityvillehorror
      those are evil if you want horror
      britiny spears in that movie crossroads
      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Bubba Hotep.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Bubba Hotep:

Not really a horror...actually, not really classifiable...
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

It's classified a Bruce Campbell Movie.

All it really needs.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The three actors that make any move better just by showing up:

Bruce Campbell
              Gary Oldman
              Christopher Walken

Comment

wishmaster I, II, III
                hellraiser I until i dont know how many
                Bunnies!
                Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Riget
                  The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Ringu is one of the scariest films I watched. Ever! You feel uncomfortable from the first frame, and then it slowly develops to heart-stopping terror.

Dark Water is another movie by the same director. Almost as scary as Ringu.

But for gods sake see the japanese originals, the american remakes sucks

Another movie that stayed with me for quite a long time afterwards was The Sixth Sense. Alltough not a horror movie as such, it´s really creepy in certain scenes. Plus it´s a damn good movie!
                    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Ringu may be what I'm looking for. I appreciate everyone's posts and have seen some of the films mentioned.

Before I left for the Phils the SciFi chanel was hypeing 'The Village'. Anyone see it? Any good?
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The Village sucks, like all M Night Schamalyans (whatever the hell his name is) later films...
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Dark Water is great

The village is not a horror movie (even though the trailer says so)
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The really freaky Korean horror flick with the two sisters, forget the name. Very surreal.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Re: Best (scariest) horror flick?

Originally posted by Lancer
                              I want to see a goodun. Any suggestions?

Does 'horror' include ghost stories ?

Because there's an excellent black and white film with Dana Andrews called 'Night of the Demon' which is based on the British writer M.R. James's ghost story, 'Casting the Runes'.

Andrews plays a sceptical American psychiatrist/psychologist who is forced to believe in the supernatural when he becomes enmeshed in the investigation into the mysterious death of one of his British colleagues who has been investigating a cult leader, Karswell. It's steeped in atmosphere, and even gets a mention in the opening song of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show'.

I'd also recommend the film of Dennis Wheatley's novel 'The Devil Rides Out' which features Christopher Lee and Charles Gray, and two Hammer Horror films- 'The Reptile' and 'Plague of the Zombies', which is set in Cornwall. It has an excellent dream sequence as does another film called 'Razorback' about giant feral hogs in Australia's Outback.

George Romero's 'The Crazies' also springs to mind, as does 'Witchfinder General' starring Vincent Price. Oh, and also 'The Haunted Palace' and 'The Shuttered Room'.

Japanese ones I'd mention are 'Kwaidan' and 'Onibaba: Killer of Women'- superb cinematography and evocation of creeping atmosphere.

I liked the Dutch film 'Amsterdamned' and also Verhoeven's 'The Fourth Man' starring Jeroen Krabbe- and the original Danish version of 'Nightwatch'.

There's also another black and white film based on Fritz Leiber's tale 'Conjure Wife' about witchcraft in a college faculty- it stars a young Peter Wyngarde.

And there's an excellent comedy about witchcraft starring the luscious Kim Novak, called 'Bell Book and Candle'.

Happy hunting & watching.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X