Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is best place in Eastern Canada for vacation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best place in Eastern Canada for vacation?

I want to take a 4-day vacation to Eastern Canada this summer. Hopefully someplace not too far from the border so that I can drive there. I am interested in cultural, nightlife, and outdoors activities. I know about Montreal and Toronto, but I'm not sure if there is enough to keep me entertained at one of those cities for an entire trip. Any suggestions?

I am interested in cultural

Montreal, Quebec city, possibly Ottawa

nightlife

Montreal. Period.

and outdoors activities

Somewhere that's not a city. The Laurentians are nice.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Labrador
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Take a trip to exotic Moncton.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I take it you consider Toronto/Montreal eastern Canada? Because the real eastern Canada is pretty nice, but lacks the big cities.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

He said he wanted to drive there, so (since he's from Chicago or Detroit IIRC), Halifax is probably out. Otherwise I would have suggested that as well.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              I am interested in cultural

Montreal, Quebec city, possibly Ottawa
              Not Ottawa imo. Quebec first, Montreal Second.

nightlife

Montreal. Period.
              Exactly. Quebec is fun to though, but so much more things to do in Montreal, so many different clubs. People are nicer in Quebec though.

and outdoors activities

Somewhere that's not a city. The Laurentians are nice.
              Laurentians are pretty close to Montreal, about 1 hour.
              If you have 4 days, I suggest you visit both Quebec AND Montreal. You have enough time for both. Quebec takes more time since there's a lot more to see culture wise. Montreal, you have enough of a day and a half. Then take a 2 hour drive up to quebec and spend the rest of your time there. There is much to see in teh OLD quebec, the Citadelle, the old wall , the abrham plains and all of the old fortress. Lots of good restaurants and tours. I suggest you go eat at the Astral Restaurant just once at night. It's a spinning restaurant that makes a full circle everyhour and lets you see the whole city while you are eating. And it's not THAT expensive.

But Hey, if you decide to drop by Montreal all this summer, drop me a PM and I'll show you around!

SPec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Ottawa and Montreal would be a good combo then. They're relatively close together. Montreal has a quasi-European feel, great nightlife, some good historical/cultural sites and smoking hot women walking around. Ottawa is beautiful in summer (just avoid it like the plague in winter), has lots of museums and other cultural attractions, the Byward market and Canal are fun and it's close to more outdoorsy activities in the Gatineau region across the river.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Labrador

Please......
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Dildo, NFLDLBRDR is where it's at.

Ignore these fools.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He said he wanted to drive there, so (since he's from Chicago or Detroit IIRC), Halifax is probably out. Otherwise I would have suggested that as well.
                      I'm from Philly..

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                        I take it you consider Toronto/Montreal eastern Canada? Because the real eastern Canada is pretty nice, but lacks the big cities.
                        Funny-- There are 5 provinces EAST of Ontario But people in Alberta refer to Toronto as Eastern Canada as well.

The question is what types of stuff are you looking for most. Nightlife/cultural and outdoor activities are not mutually exclusive but often the more you get of one, the less good you will find the other.

I was going to recommend Halifax as well but a 4 day timeframe makes it a really long drive from Illinois or Michigan. I'd probably say Ottawa or Quebec City given your parameters
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

you still don't want to drive to Halifax. trust me.

1000 miles to Halifax
                          450 miles to Montreal
                          600 miles to quebec city (same route as to montreal, then an extra 150 miles)
                          450 miles to Ottawa
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Dildo, NFLDLBRDR is where it's at.

Ignore these fools.

Actually Dildo is pretty cute and is the claimed hometown of ex-Playboy Playmate and B movie actress Shannon Tweed.

Everyone knows she was actually from North Dildo
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

you still don't want to drive to Halifax. trust me.

1000 miles to Halifax
                              450 miles to Montreal
                              600 miles to quebec city (same route as to montreal, then an extra 150 miles)
                              450 miles to Ottawa
                              Ok from Philly-- I still agree with Krazyhorse. ON a 2 week trip, its well worth it to hit Nova Scotia but an EXTRA 400 miles on a 4 day trip is a bit much

Comment

Working...
                              X