Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****, living forever would get boring.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
      ****, living forever would get boring.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        Even more awful. Selling or randomly giving life is wrong
        I didn't say I agreed with my idea
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Who cares about getting hit by a bus, indeed? This technology has the potential to start the kind of war we can only dream about. Imagine a society where the rich live and the poor die, literally. Where you're forced to decide between long life and raising a family, and either choice has to be made by society regardless of the wishes of individuals within it. Every time stuff like that happens, trouble is the result. I repeat, the odds of any good coming of this are dubious at best.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

but you have other examples, such as cellphones, that had offered something so strong, and the preparation relatively simple that the product made it to the market in a couple of years.

Still not really. I can't speak for other countries, as the timescale there is different, but I remember cell phones here in 1999, when important businessmen and just dirty rich people had them. Granted, everyone has them now, too, but it still takes some time. If you consider that the costs for a life extension operation is likely to be about a thousand times higher than to produce a cell phone...

Sandman . Some of the problems with life extension are indeed daunting, but I believe that life extension should be indeed done, as long as it can be provided to everyone. I can hardly think of anything worse than diving society into those who live a normal lifespan of 70 years and those who live for 300 years. That will be much worse than the current situation in Africa.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

That's precisely why such a situation won't last, and probably will never occur: The poor will be able to threaten the rich so much more, and thus the rich, afraid of dying will cave in to the demands.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

The poor will be able to threaten the rich how?

Comment

People can do rather desperate measures in such cases.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

And the rich will give in just like that? Hardly. They have, first of all, to be normal people who would themselves feel bad if they were the ones to live for 300 years with the poorer men not being able to do so - what I'm saying is that the rich have to voluntarily cooperate for it to end up good.

Comment

not necessarily. If it will only be available to the ultra-rich, at first, it would mean that they will be a minority... this will probably mean that this will get government healthcare coverage immideately ( including through taxation of the ultra-rich).

If it's cheap enough for the middle class to purchase, I believe that including this in the medical cover will be done on simple economical grounds. Face it, it's a great investment in the country's future.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I say if this technology will be rather expensive at first, but who knows how they can bring it down. This better be covered by my insurance from the state. If not, BURN FINLAND BURN! IF yes... HOORAY FOREVER FINLAND!

My guess? Sure, but we won't be the first who hop the train. But maybe we can get a seat in the back. One can only hope. I don't know another 1000 years though.. hey, if I can keep my brains functioning well, and regenerate other stuff, no problemo! Still, 1000 year seems a bit long even for a superhero of my caliber. But I could do a couple of hundred.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Just shows that you're not truly a superhero.

I could do a 1000 years without a problem!
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

There's plenty to do to fill 1000 years
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

If it's cheap enough for the middle class to purchase, I believe that including this in the medical cover will be done on simple economical grounds. Face it, it's a great investment in the country's future.

I can also see a problem there. Surely, we can expect the most advanced countries to do it first and best. The US government invests in this, over the course of the next several years after it all starts, US citizens are all free to receive life extension. To a degree, the same is done in Canada, UK and other advanced countries. However, in developing European countries, not to mention third-world countries, no such thing happens. Then we have a huge gap, again. You know, Latvian government doesn't provide any free health care (which causes problems currently), they won't provide that. Ditto for many other countries in Europe. So then we can have - 2040. US life expectancy: 280-320 years. Eastern Europe life expectancy: 70-80 years. Africa life expectancy: 40-50 years. Terrible, eh?

Comment

yeah, doing what? I feel everyone needs to die. Jesus died. Thus I need to die as well. I have a job at heaven... beating up PUNKS. You see, even in heaven, if you were a PUNK, you won't get away with it.
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X