No announcement yet.

Downloading mp3z question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They want to welch on the deal now that P2P has taken off, but the government told them to shove it.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

government
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        The music industry agreed to it in 1998. In recompense they are given a certain amount of money per blank CD or portable music device sold.
        That's a pretty fair construction. Over here, I think, they're contemplating the introduction of a compensation fee on broadband connections, which would be a similar measure.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

The music industry agreed to it in 1998. In recompense they are given a certain amount of money per blank CD or portable music device sold.
          We have that too for blank CD's. Now they want to extend it to PC's as well, which is absolute bollocks IMO.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Finland has the CD levy and downloading is legal, but the lobby is working hard on getting some legislation against that as well. I doubt the government here is as w00tly as Canada's. IOW the entertainment industry wants to have its cake and eat it too.

Of course, resourceful Finns have bought their blank CDs for much lower prices from abroad for a long time now
            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

We have that too for blank CD's. Now they want to extend it to PC's as well, which is absolute bollocks IMO.

That's indeed rubbish.

The broadband tax seems to make sense, though.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Where can I get a *free* winamp equivalent for a Mac? I've got a load of stuff that I don't want on my iPod or would simply mess up iTunes if I added it to the Library. Simularly, where can I get something akin to Tagscanner?

ipodlounge.com

I admit that I take a perverse joy in the Canadian recording industry's problems. They were quite happy to screw the consumer with a an unjustifiable levy - now that it's bit them in the ass consumers should feel free to enjoy Canada's liberal downloading laws.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

The broadband tax seems to make sense, though.

Really? Why should you subsidize a dying industry? Do you have to pay taxes to horse breeders when you buy a new car?
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Well, the argument made, and I can only confirm its validity for the Dutch ISP market, is that broadband ISPs advertise their connections as allowing one to download many files quickly.
                    This argument holds the underlying assumption that P2P-networks will be used to acquire (copyrighted) material.

Comment

So what if they are. The laws need to be change. The old system is encouraging hoarding rather than creativity.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                      X