Downloading mp3z question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading mp3z question

We are allowed to make copies of music we have purchased. So if I own a cd, I can rip it. If I decide to sell the cd, I can still keep the copy, cuz I paid for it. The artist (really the company) got their cut.

So what about copies of music I once owned, but sold before I copied it? I already paid the corporation for the right to use it, so don't I have the right to copy it?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

No. In the US, you own only certain rights to the intellectual property contained on the CD. Copying and selling is not one of them.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In Canada you have the right to copy and give away copies of any CDs you own.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Downloading mp3z question

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        We are allowed to make copies of music we have purchased. So if I own a cd, I can rip it.

Yes. You are legally allowed to VCR, and you are legally allowed to make cassette mix tapes.

So, you can transfer between mediums as much as you wish. However, after the passing of the DMCA, you are not allowed to circumvent any protections intended to prevent you from transferring between mediums.

If I decide to sell the cd, I can still keep the copy, cuz I paid for it. The artist (really the company) got their cut.

Uhm. Not legally, I think. You have to sell the original and all copies together.

So what about copies of music I once owned, but sold before I copied it? I already paid the corporation for the right to use it, so don't I have the right to copy it?

No. The right-to-copy belongs to the copyright holder. Buying a Weird Al CD does not give you the right to start stamping and selling Weird Al CDs. A monopoly on the right-to-copy lasts lifetime+70 years these days.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          No. In the US, you own only certain rights to the intellectual property contained on the CD. Copying and selling is not one of them.
          Not selling the copy, copying and selling the original. You keep the copy. We are allowed to make copies of media we own, so long as we don't distribute it.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I know what you said, Che. The answer is still no. The copy is for backup purposes. If you sell the original you have no right to a backup.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

When you sell the original CD you sell with it all rights you had to individual use of the CD. One of those rights was backup copy. The backup copy becomes an illegal copy if it remains in your possession. It must either be given to the new owner of the CD or destroyed.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In Holland you can legally download as much as you want whatever you want(not sure on games though), however, you are not allowed to 'share'. No idea how the situation is here.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

In Canada you can both legally download and legally upload.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's interesting, KH, does the Canadian allow theft and fencing as well?

Originally posted by alva
                    In Holland you can legally download as much as you want whatever you want(not sure on games though), however, you are not allowed to 'share'. No idea how the situation is here.
                    It's legal to download anything except software (which obviously includes games). You should check with the local entertainment rights protection instance for the rules in Belgium. I really believe the legislation should be drawn equally internationally to prevent misunderstandings.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      When you sell the original CD you sell with it all rights you had to individual use of the CD. One of those rights was backup copy. The backup copy becomes an illegal copy if it remains in your possession. It must either be given to the new owner of the CD or destroyed.
                      Unenforcible laws are stupid, throw rocks at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                        That's interesting, KH, does the Canadian allow fencing as well?
                        apparently, yes.

http://www.rmc.ca/athletics/varsity/...g/index_e.html
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Okay, I thought I'd post here, rather than start a new thread....

Where can I get a *free* winamp equivalent for a Mac? I've got a load of stuff that I don't want on my iPod or would simply mess up iTunes if I added it to the Library. Simularly, where can I get something akin to Tagscanner?
                          Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                            That's interesting, KH, does the Canadian allow theft and fencing as well?
                            The music industry agreed to it in 1998. In recompense they are given a certain amount of money per blank CD or portable music device sold.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's awesome. I hope such a scheme would take off here, as well ( there were some sounds, but nothing more )
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X