Woot! Earthquake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woot! Earthquake!

Just a baby one. The p-wave wouldn't even wake anyone up but I was still awake and drinking at 4:05am so I felt it. The S-wave was barely more then a 2-3 in my estimate but it's still nice to feel an Earthquake every now and then. It reminds me I'm home.

I can remember back to May of last year when my mother died and I got emergency leave from Iraq in order to go to her funeral. The very same night I got home a 4.0 hit (that's to small to do damage but it shakes things up a bit) and that's when I finally realized I was back home. Strange what things our minds associate with pleasant memories but the frequent yet small Earthquakes never seem to damage much around here.

Luckily, this far south in California all we have are right lateral stike slip faults which, unlike northern or central Californa, don't have any jogs or restraining bends. Thus all we get is fault creep and the odd little Earthquake. They're not so lucky up north were there are several left jogs in major fault lines creating restraining bends which can produce some major Earthquakes.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

It looks like a magnitude 4 (small little thing really) from a blind fault out south east of La Mesa. Those blind faults are the ones you have to watch for because no one ever knows they're there until they break.

That area is all state park land with narry a man made structure in sight. Perfect place for a quake. I can remember visiting the epicenter of the Hector Mine Earth Quake back in the late 1990's near Pisgah crater and there was a very nice fault scarps visable along with obvious fault damage to the 25 million year old Pisgah volcanic cinder cone. Luckily the lava tubes weren't damaged and to this day people visiting out in that section of the Mojave desert can crawl through some perfect 25 million year old lava tubes some of which are longer then three miles.
    Last edited by Dinner; April 12, 2005, 07:26.

Comment

Re: Woot! Earthquake!

Originally posted by Oerdin
      Strange what things our minds associate with pleasant memories
      My favourite mornings in England are the ones where it's slightly cool but not cold, there's a uniform dampness to everything but it isn't raining, and the sky and sea and ground and buildings all seem to blend together into a uniform grey.

Should be the most depressing type of morning ever but its what I associate with staying with my grandparents in Brighton when I was younger.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Anzo Boreggo?

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
          Anzo Boreggo?
          Close but on the west side of the mountains still while the Anza-borrego desert state park is on the east side of the montians in the rain shadow created by the mountains. That is an excellent desert park if you ever get a chance to go out there. Perfectly undeveloped with plenty of water in the spring time since streams come dowen from the mountains at that time of year (though in the summer or fall it is so dry you could kill a goat from thirst. I have no idea how the wild big horns survive). There's lots of hot springs out in that State Park too so if you want to swim in 110 degree natural hot springs with native palm trees all around then it's a nice place. I like to go out there to ride ATVs. Loads of sand dunes with no one else around and plenty of jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Close but on the west side of the mountains still while the Anza-borrego desert state park is on the east side of the montians in the rain shadow created by the mountains. That is an excellent desert park if you ever get a chance to go out there. Perfectly undeveloped with plenty of water in the spring time since streams come dowen from the mountains at that time of year (though in the summer or fall it is so dry you could kill a goat from thirst. I have no idea how the wild big horns survive). There's lots of hot springs out in that State Park too so if you want to swim in 110 degree natural hot springs with native palm trees all around then it's a nice place. I like to go out there to ride ATVs. Loads of sand dunes with no one else around and plenty of jumps.
            I got my 280Z turbo stranded trying to offroad to the Palm Springs (at that turn where it gets sandy). Was 4th of July and 120 in the shade...and there was no shade. We were the only idiots there. I found this 80 year old Catholic priest and some stoned bus drivers...it's a long story.

Comment

If it's not Anzo Borrego, which Park are you talking about?

Comment

I've never felt an earthquake, even though Northern Illinois has them quit frequently. They're always very small though, and can easily be mistaken for a passing truck.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Re: Re: Woot! Earthquake!

Originally posted by Starchild

My favourite mornings are the ones where it's slightly cool but not cold, there's a uniform dampness to everything but it isn't raining, and the sky and sea and ground and buildings all seem to blend together into a uniform grey.
                  I love exactly the same thing! So I'm not crazy....

Comment

No, you're crazy. Starchild is crazy also.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      They're just channelling Titus Andronicus.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Silence Florida boy! We're just waiting for the sunlight, warmth, and fresh orange juice to make you weak and slow. Then we'll come in massive hoardes! Massive pale Northern European hordes who will gawk and stare at the ferocious DayStar before falling about your slovenly and well-tanned bodies like...like rats! Rats in candy store! And we shall drive efficient German made atomic powered super robots who shall shoot lasers from their eyes and with the killing and bloodlust and ......

*gets dragged away from the temptation of seeing actual sunlight*
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

"well-tanned" is not exactly a phrase I associate with Che.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                            "well-tanned" is not exactly a phrase I associate with Che.
                            He's not into S & M ?
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I live in a county where half the days are overcast and the sun sets at 4pm in winter. Che is probably a bronzed god compared to the paleness I see everyday.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X