No announcement yet.

The equal strengths of Star Wars and Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars exhibit at Smithsonian few years ago discussed how SW had mythology elements as well as Campbell works. Generally I hate museums and I enjoyed this exhibit.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• Speaking of hittin' it, Riker seems to be doing alright himself...
      Attached Files
      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• And we cannot overlook one of his greatest love.... Troi
        Attached Files
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• Originally posted by Barinthus
          Speaking of hittin' it, Riker seems to be doing alright himself...

How the hell do I NOT remember this episode????
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

And we cannot overlook one of his greatest love.... Troi

What exactly is going on in that photo?
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Strip poker with Deanna Troi.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker

What exactly is going on in that photo?
                that doesn't look like a photo from the show. She's never had her hair like that. although I just noticed the window with the stars on the other side. Maybe it's some kind of promotional shoot. Because I do not remember her ever having her hair like that during the show.

And this might be taken at the Star Trek Experience in the Las Vegas Hilton (as it looks like she is drinking "earth" cocktails)

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
                  For good sci fi look at Asimov, Lem, Clarck, Brin, heck, even Chriton's earlier works are very good sci fi.
                  What, no Forward?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                    I'm far more interested in gaming and reference books than onscreen stuff
                    For the game that is based on Star Trek, try Star Fleet Battles. Excellent game of tactical combat between starships (and other objects).

The computer game Starfleet Battles is largely based on the board game, down to the notations (e.g. alpha strike). However, it sucks.
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      Still sci-fi.
                      No. GePap was right characterising what science fiction is.

Sci-fi is not mindless entertainment wrapped in a cloak of possible science - or worse, psuedoscience.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom

It features a princess with what appear to be cinnamon danish pastries stuck to her head.

Not very inspiring if she falls asleep at the breakfast table....
                        Hmmmm. I'm hungry and horny.

C3PO, get me princess Leia's number!
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by child of Thor
                          And Mary Poppins.

Dick van ****'s 'cockney' accent...
                          The legend's name has been half recovered from the autocensor. It's high time we reclaim "dike" as well!

That accent was even painful for Americans.

Comment

And we cannot overlook one of his greatest love.... Troi
                            Ah, Marina Insertthis. Actress who played the most dreadful role in any of the Star Trek shows.

I liked the original series Star Trek. It was my first experience with decent quality science fiction (all that dreck from the '50s does not qualify), and it was on TV for free every week. It explored some interesting ideas for me (I was a kid back then), and did so with humor oftentimes. I only saw a couple of the movies (Wrath of Khan comes to mind), but they were more nostalgia than anything worthy of my attention. I enjoyed TNG as well, but more as kind of mindless familiar comic space opera than science fiction. DS9 was good as well in a similar vein (though I admit it was more intellectually stimulating than TNG).

Star Wars started off with a bang. It had good special effects for the era, and its simple story nonetheless promised an interesting gradual exposition of an entire galaxy's histories and mysteries. Unfortunately instead of being the sort of thing (IMO) that could delight both parents and children, it became the sort of thing that children alone appreciate. I was too old to enjoy even the sequels when they came out. The great promised exposition turned out to be a lot more hinting around the edges while the main efforts were put into the lame characters, special effects, muppetry. Anything but the script. The more modern set of films is better than the last two of the first set (and what wasn't), but they don't do much for my even so, aside from impress with their special effects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              No. GePap was right characterising what science fiction is.

Sci-fi is not mindless entertainment wrapped in a cloak of possible science - or worse, psuedoscience.
                              Yes it is.

Comment

• Fiction with reference to science in it? seems reasonable.
                                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X