X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GePap

What "other plane"?
    There's dozens, even hundreds, of them.

The material planes are where most "normal" worlds exist.

Then there are the transitive planes (The Astral Plane, the Etheral Plane, the Shadow Plane, and the Dimension of Time) which act as a sort of bridge between the material planes and the inner and outer planes.

The inner planes are elemental in nature, while the outer planes are manifestations of thoughts, emotions, and beliefs - and that is where most gods live. (The city of Sigil where Planescape: Torment takes place is in the center of the outer planes)
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

There's dozens, even hundreds, of them.

The material planes are where most "normal" worlds exist.

Then there are the transitive planes (The Astral Plane, the Etheral Plane, the Shadow Plane, and the Dimension of Time) which act as a sort of bridge between the material planes and the inner and outer planes.

The inner planes are elemental in nature, while the outer planes are manifestations of thoughts, emotions, and beliefs - and that is where most gods live. (The city of Sigil where Planescape: Torment takes place is in the center of the outer planes)
      Not all, stories that use magic use this plot point, but even with another plane, so what? Some more abstract physics theories expect a universe with multiple dimensions- If you know about said plane, its relation to your plane, how to move about, who to make predictions and so forth, again, Magic loses its "unknown" quantity.

But as I said before, that does not then make the story sci if, it makes it a fantasy universe where people have come to undertstand this force.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• as I said before, that does not then make the story sci if, it makes it a fantasy universe where people have come to undertstand this force.
        Because...

at the basis there is the notion that this other "non-real" force exists
        But -

Some more abstract physics theories expect a universe with multiple dimensions

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Saying there are multiple dimensions does not equal stating there is a force that somehow is able to trump gravity, electromagnetism, the weak and the strong nuclear force, which is what magic invariably does in fantasy stories.

The point, whcih you missed, is that just saying there are mutliple dimensions is not in and of itself "magical", as such a thing can be proposed throught the study of those forces we do know about in an attempt to explain them.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
            Saying there are multiple dimensions does not equal stating there is a force that somehow is able to trump gravity, electromagnetism, the weak and the strong nuclear force, which is what magic invariably does in fantasy stories.
            I just explained to you that magic in the D&D universe is not simply a "force" that can "trump" physical laws. Magic is mostly a manipulation of the other planes.

A wizard can not "trump" the laws of gravity, but he can converge with the ethereal plane where gravity does not exist.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

I just explained to you that magic in the D&D universe is not simply a "force" that can "trump" physical laws. Magic is mostly a manipulation of the other planes.
              I believe thats evocation magic.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Magic = the unexplainable. You will never hear a Jedi say that "the Force" is magic, and that is because they understand it. Those that do not understand will call it "magic" a "hokey religion" etc.

The same goes for wizards in D&D, they study it, they understand how it works, but it is far more mysterious (ie magical) for those that don't understand how it works.

The same also btw goes for people who do not understand modern day/real life science.

Comment

• centrifuge,

What is the difference between spells from wizards and spells from priests? In terms of the source of their energy.

Always been curious about that one.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Not you too, Ted...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Hmmm interesting point. Spells from priests are supposed to come from the power of a deity I'd imagine, whereas "Energy spells" would be more of a physical phenomenon. Of course this can bring up arguments such as "God is a physical phenomenon" etc. but fiction can't cover all bases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        Not you too, Ted...

Nah.

I played some online games when I was younger but I don't have time for that nowadays.

I still like the magical side of it though, for a number of reasons, mostly how it relates to real life on a spiritual, religious level.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by centrifuge
                          Hmmm interesting point. Spells from priests are supposed to come from the power of a deity I'd imagine, whereas "Energy spells" would be more of a physical phenomenon. Of course this can bring up arguments such as "God is a physical phenomenon" etc. but fiction can't cover all bases.

Thanks

Comment

• Read Terry Pratchett for the answer to that one-and a lot more things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
                              centrifuge,

What is the difference between spells from wizards and spells from priests? In terms of the source of their energy.

Always been curious about that one.

In D&D, a wizard's spell is made by direct manipulation of the magic weave (which, as I understand it, is sort of the 'glue' that holds the multiverse together, and runs through every plane of existance). The weave is also largley dependant on Mystra, who directs it into a predictable and controlable element, where her guidance over the weave is absent, magic is chaotic and wild.

Priest's spells, on the other hand, are essentially acts of god - the priest asks the god for something, and the god does the magic. Gods are basically super-wizards.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• As I have neither the time, nor the bandwith to stumble through this mockery of Science Fiction, I shall just say this:

ST: The good guys are a bunch of communist retards who couldn't fight there way out of a wet paper bag.

SW: Free-market, galactic wide civilizations with FTL much faster than warp, and a halfway competant military on both sides.

SW wins.
                                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                                X