This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heresson
    Because love to some person distracts us from the path to God I guess. You should not love a person more than other. You should love all the people the same, as God loves us all the same.

This is an interesting post on the topic. It appears to claim that even from its earliest days, married men had to leave their wives. The author dismisses the legend that the topic was discussed at Nicea. The legend is that a cannon on priestly continence was not included over protest from the Egyptian delegation.

From the post, it appears there was a difference in practice between the Church in Western provinces and Eastern about whether married men had to leave their wives.

There is mention of a council of Trullo of the so-called "Eastern" Church that adopted a cannon allowing priest to marry, noting that this cannon was never accepted in the West.

The Catholic encylopedia entry for this Council http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04311b.htm angrily denounces, in polite language, the Council's imposing "Eastern Customs" on the Western Church on the issue of priests and their wives.

While a papal legate was apparently present, the Western Church says there was no evidence of his authority, and accepts only 50 or so of its 102 cannons.

All, this shows is that there was a long standing difference between the Eastern and Western churches on the issue of wives, this at a time when two branches of the Church had not split. It also demonstrates clearly and unambiguously that the matter of wives is a custom and practice and nothing more.

We
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• H: I was watching the History Channel last night. They were discussing the Normans. They got to the Kings of Scotland, circa 1200, who were deemed second ranked kings because were not annointed, etc., by the pope. The pope insisted, it is said, that they would have to shift from the Irish Church to the Latin Church first. The historian said they did,

much to the chagrin of the priesthood due to "celibacy."
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• H: it is interesting how a practice peculiar to Rome has been converted into everlasting dogma handed down from God himself through a big lie often repeated.

Comment

• It's not a lie. It's interpretation that may, but just may be wrong
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
            It's not a lie. It's interpretation that may, but just may be wrong
            H: finally!

Hopefully the new pope is intellectually honest as I think he is, having grown up under the Nazi's. He may surprise people on issues like this.

Comment

• I think Ratzingers only fault is that he is probably very conservative.

Aside from this I think he is intelligent and humble.

I don´t think that there will be much changes with him as pope, not for bad, but also not for good.
              Probably he will follow the parth JP II has set.

Of course I have difficulties to see what the Prophecy of Malachias concerning him could mean
              De gloria oliviae.

Well, maybe he will fight for peace in the world (seeing the olive twig as a symbol for peace)
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                I think Ratzingers only fault is that he is probably very conservative.

Aside from this I think he is intelligent and humble.

I don´t think that there will be much changes with him as pope, not for bad, but also not for good.
                Probably he will follow the parth JP II has set.

Of course I have difficulties to see what the Prophecy of Malachias concerning him could mean
                De gloria oliviae.

Well, maybe he will fight for peace in the world (seeing the olive twig as a symbol for peace)
                Proteus, the thing about extremely intelligent people is that they are not afraid to lead. A lesser intellect would be afraid to challenge accepted dogma. I would be very surprised if Ratzinger did not do something we did not expect.

For one thing, I understand he is reviewing the Church's just war doctrine in light of Kosovo, Rawanda, the Sudan and Iraq. The latter conflict demostrates to some extent how the Church might have been wrong to oppose the war, because if you go through every item on the just-war checklist, the result should have been for the Vatican to approve of the war; but it did not. It appears that JP II simply took the Church's just war doctrine, multiplied by zero, and then added in the result he wanted because he was fundamentally opposed to all wars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned

he was fundamentally opposed to all wars.
                  You would be too if you suffered through WW2 under the Nazis.

Comment

• Odin, you have to understand that the US has an entirely different view on WWII. We prosecuted WWII to victory and became a dominant world power. WWII was hardly a tragedy for Americans as it was for the Germans, Japanese, Eastern Europeans and Chinese.

The new pope grew up in Germany and saw that the Nazi regime brought his country ruin. I wonder how he feels about war?

Comment

• Well, He already took something previously Polish, and it's not even september.
                      Middle East!

Comment

• Knocking on a bit isn't he? They're going to have a high throughput of Popes if they continually pick people of this kind of age
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Being under that door, You hear voice of God clearer...
                          Unless You're deaf, of course.
                          Middle East!

Comment

• Oh now what are you jabbering on about?
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Close enough to 500 to close this one... and since there are already enough pope threads... use them, because new ones will probably get deleted
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X