This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heresson

The only one who deserves it here is yourself.

Inquisition can actually be right sometimes.
    You are so incredibly backwards...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Inquisition can actually be right sometimes.

Predictable, and yet also seemingly unbelievable.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison

You are so incredibly backwards...
        While I think it was ment as offence,
        I urge You to reconsider what You've said.
        The use of term "backward" indicates that You believe in progress, that You're meliorist, probably liberal meliorist. But what's that progress? What does "backward" really mean? Using terms such as progress or backwardness is poorly disquised showing of emotional attitude towards some facts, people, tendencies, but have no actual meaning.
        Also, the inquisition was an institution to reveal and fight heresy. I think your remark was based on justified understanding of what I've written, but not what I've ment. When I say that inquisition can actually be right, it's about their opinion if someone's heretic or is not, not about the past opinion of it how to deal with heretics.
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

While I think it was ment as offence,
          I urge You to reconsider what You've said.
          The use of term "backward" indicates that You believe in progress, that You're meliorist, probably liberal meliorist. But what's that progress? What does "backward" really mean? Using terms such as progress or backwardness is poorly disquised showing of emotional attitude towards some facts, people, tendencies, but have no actual meaning.
          Also, the inquisition was an institution to reveal and fight heresy. I think your remark was based on justified understanding of what I've written, but not what I've ment. When I say that inquisition can actually be right, it's about their opinion if someone's heretic or is not, not about the past opinion of it how to deal with heretics.
          Because heresy (and thus inquisition) is an outmoded and dangerous concept. Everything should be open to scrutiny, we should work on the principle of the scientific method not the voice of authority and it's loosely interpreted works of fiction...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Everything should be open to scrutiny, we should work on the principle of the scientific method not the voice of authority...
            I wish i had more sig room.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Because heresy (and thus inquisition) is an outmoded and dangerous concept. Everything should be open to scrutiny, we should work on the principle of the scientific method not the voice of authority and it's loosely interpreted works of fiction...
              try to work out art, religion, morality, or feelings like compassion on the principle of the scientific method.
              You can say that concept of heresy is dangerous, but it's existant, as the fact that it describes is. Inquisition was checking if someone's views were in concordance with current catholic teachings and if someone's were not, it's an existant act of heresy. Therefore, inquisition could be right about if someone was heretic or not.
              Middle East!

Comment

try to work out art, religion, morality, or feelings like compassion on the principle of the scientific method.
                I don't see the relevance...these are the manifestations of a very complicated system, the brain, and it's organisation. They can be treated by science in the same way as chaos...there is a pattern but it is extremely complicated to simulate.

You can say that concept of heresy is dangerous, but it's existant, as the fact that it describes is. Inquisition was checking if someone's views were in concordance with current catholic teachings and if someone's were not, it's an existant act of heresy. Therefore, inquisition could be right about if someone was heretic or not.
                Well I suppose it exists in the Catholic world then. In the same way as God, transubstantiation, holy trinity etc, ie, exist to Catholics, utter nonsense to anyone else...
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

• I hope that people who try to curb condom use or promote abstinence get AIDS. It's what they deserve.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

• amen
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

See my sig below? It's a translation of an actual quote spoken by the abbott Arnaud-Amaury during the 13th century Albigensian crusade. It was his reply to an inquiry by one of his subordinates as to how they should go about seperating the Cathar heretics from the good Catholics. The abbott is telling him to not trouble his little head with attempting to seperate them, but to kill everyone in his path. Some historians claim that over one million people were killed in this camapaign, though the number of Cathars is believed to have never been more than a few thousand. The abbott was rewarded for his service with the title of "Inquisitor". He was the first. More were to follow, many of whom used the same approach to their tasks as he.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                        I hope that people who try to curb condom use or promote abstinence get AIDS. It's what they deserve.

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        See my sig below? It's a translation of an actual quote spoken by the abbott Arnaud-Amaury during the 13th century Albigensian crusade. It was his reply to an inquiry by one of his subordinates as to how they should go about seperating the Cathar heretics from the good Catholics. The abbott is telling him to not trouble his little head with attempting to seperate them, but to kill everyone in his path. Some historians claim that over one million people were killed in this camapaign, though the number of Cathars is believed to have never been more than a few thousand. The abbott was rewarded for his service with the title of "Inquisitor". He was the first. More were to follow, many of whom used the same approach to their tasks as he.
                        A commonly known story. But when it comes to the number of cathars, You probably mean the number of "good people" or whatever they were called, the ones observing all the demands of cathar faith. Supporters of cathar faith were much more numerable.

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        I don't see the relevance...these are the manifestations of a very complicated system, the brain, and it's organisation. They can be treated by science in the same way as chaos...there is a pattern but it is extremely complicated to simulate.
                        Does anyone know this pattern or do You just BELIEVE it exists? Also, if religion is redundant, why the art is not?
                        A world led by scientific method would be boring, sterile, ugly and inhumane.

Well I suppose it exists in the Catholic world then. In the same way as God, transubstantiation, holy trinity etc, ie, exist to Catholics, utter nonsense to anyone else...
                        First, You can disagree with some creed, but someone's agreement or disagreement with it is something real.
                        Secondly, do You think all but catholics are atheists?
                        Several percent of world population is "anyone else"?
                        Middle East!

Comment

Actually, I agree with You. Celibate shouldn't be compulsory. Just I'm enangered by ones who think that conservatives in RCC have absolutely no reason for their beliefs. They want priests to be perfect, I think it's putting too much pressure on sexuality issue.
                          Do you mean that absolute abstinence is inherently good (yet difficult)? Why would abstinence be better than a loving marriage?
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Because love to some person distracts us from the path to God I guess. You should not love a person more than other. You should love all the people the same, as God loves us all the same.
                            Middle East!

Comment

• This thread shall die soon.

We should give it last rights.

Comment

• I wonder if it will outlast the next Pope?
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X