Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google now faster with Firefox

Cool.

Official Google Search Help Center where you can find tips and tutorials on using Google Search and other answers to frequently asked questions.

On some searches, Google automatically instructs your browser to start downloading the top search result before you click on it. If you click on top result, the destination page will load faster than before.

Google uses a special prefetching feature in Firefox and Mozilla web browsers to provide this functionality, so results prefetching is not available in Internet Explorer or other web browsers. You can disable prefetching in your web browser preferences, as described in the Mozilla Prefetching FAQ. In Firefox, you can disable prefetching by doing the following:

1. Type "about:config" the address bar.
    2. Scroll down to the setting "network.prefetch-next" and set the value to "False".

With prefetching enabled, you may end up with cookies and web pages in your web browser's cache from web
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Google
    Firefox
    Google and Firefox together
    Ted-Striker-level analysis
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

google is the new microsoft, with all this restriction to other browsers other than the one they choose.
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Right, plus this was really needed for the end user because google.com is so damn slow searcher
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Get Firefox then.
          "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
            google is the new microsoft, with all this restriction to other browsers other than the one they choose.
            I think it is more of a case where Microsoft's IE doesn't offer this feature so how can Google offer it to IE users?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Awesomeness of Google + shilling for Firefox = a plug for you on my blog

CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
              Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
              Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
              Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                Right, plus this was really needed for the end user because google.com is so damn slow searcher
                It makes the first hit in the google search load faster. It won't change the speed at which you acquire search results.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                  Eh? There is no restriction, it's just that other browsers don't have the feature...they can implement it if they want...
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

damn, i should have read your first post before saying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                      Google
                      Firefox
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Go0gle
                        Friefox

Comment

With prefetching enabled, you may end up with cookies and web pages in your web browser's cache from web sites that you did not click on since prefetching happens automatically when you view Google search results pages. You can delete these files by clearing your browser's cache and cookies.
                          Downloading stuff I didn't ask to download
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                            Google
                            Firefox
                            Google taking over the world

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Downloading stuff I didn't ask to download
                              This is a very good point. I see a potential breach of security here. Hackers could use Google to point the first result on a certain search to a malicious site that would then be downloaded by Firefox without the user's consent...

Comment

Working...
                              X