Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Instant Polyjury -- was it honorable "to put him out of his misery"

Originally posted by DanS
    The long story short is that there was a wounded Sadr militant on the side of the road after being shot by a US tank company. The company commander, after being told by his medic that the militant wasn't going to make it, "put him out of his misery."

The company commander insists that it was an honorable killing -- the most merciful action, given the circumstances. Do you agree with him?
    If it was certain that he was going to die and he was in enormous pain then yes.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If the man was conscious and requested to be killed then this is a no-brainer.

If he was conscious and wanted to continue recieving medical care then he should have.

If he was only semiconscious and unable to make a decision and the extent of his injuries was so great that it was only a matter of waiting for him to die then I approve.

I would hope that the same decision would be made independent of whether he was an enemy or ally. In other words, if this guy is found not guilty in the inevitable inquiry it better happen to anybody who mercy-kills an American soldier.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The coup de grâce has been around forever in warfare.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is unsat and should not be done whether the guy asks for it or not and regardless of his status (civilian, enemy, US, ally).

That said, insert "feeding tube" troll.

Comment

"unsat"?

I'm pretty surprised at the number of people who think this is honorable or could be honorable under some circumstances.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's worse than unsat. It is criminal. It is murder. This guy is going to stand at the green table and (possibly) swing.

Comment

I am not sure whether this thing is right.

I need some time to think about this.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

The report doesn't describe the wounds, how can you say?
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I'm pretty surprised at the number of people who think this is honorable or could be honorable under some circumstances.
                    Well, I'm not sure "honourable" is the right word, but "merciful" definitely is (provided it is true the guy couldn't survive his wounds).

I think most people who think like that emphasize on human suffering over human life. Basically, a life of agony isn't worth living. I can't vouch for that, but I think it's the main reason of support for the soldier.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      honorable? i dunno. i don't give a ****.

killing people, especially non-white non-americans.
                      ill find someway in which you arent american.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Old news.

Sailors used to put a bullet in those they couldn't rescue.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

"unsat"?

I would want it done for me.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

well i guess theres a bullet coming for you
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Repremand him with understanding, and let it be done.

Every situation is different, and it sounded like this one called for such an action. I don't agree with the action, but I can't say that I wouldn't do it myself... especially if they guy was KH
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

how did I know it was coming?
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X