Instant Polyjury -- was it honorable "to put him out of his misery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mrt144, i don't look american.

asians aren't considered "american" by most people. we're considered "foreigners".

besides, there's what, about 2 billion more of me anyway?
    B♭3

Comment

IMHO even the medic was not qualified to make such a decision. The only times that paramedical personnel are permitted to make a life or death decision is when the situation threatens the life of the paramedic, or when giving aide to a "hopeless" case would hamper efforts to give aide to a more viable patient or when adequate resuscitative efforts have proven futile. In this case it would appear that the wounded man was even concious. Of course, I don't know how extensive his wounds were.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

i dont know, ive know quite a few asians who lived in america longer than my family. I think asians are as american as baseball and autos
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I agree with the doc - and even what looks like catastrophic injuries can be dealt with these days.

That's one reason why the US only have 1500 dead but 11,000 wounded. That's an incredibly low death to casualty ratio.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I would want it done for me.
            In the extreme, with your position, you would have to admit to a potential teenage suicider that suicide may be a good path, depending on how much mental pain the kid is under.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

They could have left the casualty for the local pop to assist.

If it took 2 shots to kill then the patient hardly sounds like he was at death's door.

These soldiers have been watching too many Westerns.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Suicide is a permenet answer to temporay problems. This is an entirerly different situation.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

How do you know that the problems are temporary? I can easily imagine a broad range of permanent problems.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    In the extreme, with your position, you would have to admit to a potential teenage suicider that suicide may be a good path, depending on how much mental pain the kid is under.
                    Based on this quote, the problems you are implying are most likely dealing with a bad homelife, teen angst about something, infatuations with another person or some other such temperary thing.

Now yes, there are some medical reason why suicide might look like a good path, but they are not limited exclusively to teenagers.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Mental pain can be cured. In fact, going to sleep tends to dispell it. Not so with physical pain like losing half of your head...

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                        The only circumstance that could possibly sway my opinion on this, is if the wounded man himself explicitly requested to be killed.
                        Normally, yes. Though they could have a problem communicating, and the Iraqi might not be strong enough to talk or make gestures.

Details, details...

Edit: KH beat me to it
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Interesting that the military folks here seem to be the most gung-ho for conviction...

...And he was convicted for a slightly lesser charge.

Mar 31, 7:08 AM (ET)

(AP) US Army Capt. Rogelio M. Maynulet leaves the courthouse at the Army Airfield in Wiesbaden near...
                          Full Image

WIESBADEN, Germany (AP) - A military court on Thursday found a U.S. Army tank company commander guilty of charges related to the shooting death of a wounded Iraqi last year.

Capt. Rogelio "Roger" Maynulet, a 30-year-old from Chicago, stood at attention as the verdict was read. The charge - assault with intent to commit voluntary manslaughter - carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

The court was to reconvene later Thursday to consider Maynulet's sentence.

Prosecutors had sought a conviction on a more serious charge of assault with intent to commit murder, which carries a 20-year maximum.

Prosecutors said Maynulet violated military rules of engagement by shooting a man who was wounded and unarmed. Maynulet, 30, maintained that the man was gravely wounded and that he shot him to end his suffering.

Maynulet's 1st Armored Division tank company had been on patrol near Kufa on May 21, 2004, when it was alerted to a car thought to be carrying a driver for radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and another militiaman loyal to the Shiite cleric.

The U.S. troops chased the vehicle and fired at it, wounding both the passenger, who fled and was later apprehended, and the driver. The killing was filmed by a U.S. drone surveillance aircraft.

Comment

Assuming he was as gravely wounded as claimed:
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How can you committ voluntary manslaughter? Isn't manslaughter the unintentional killing of a human being?
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It requires heat of the moment provocation, or sufficient cause, to make the distinction.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X