No announcement yet.

Instant Polyjury -- was it honorable "to put him out of his misery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the man was conscious and did not express a desire to be killed, then no, it's not honorable, it's murder.

AFAIK, even a mortally wounded prisoner is entitled to medical care that attempts to save his life. To just give up and shoot him isn't honorable at all.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
      It was honourable if the details true.

I was going to ask if the version of events is disputed by the prosecution. Most importantly, was the man going to die regardless.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

is there a middle ground between honorable and murder? Like, say, manslaughter? I agree with whoever posted the Terri-hypocrisy thing, but i have a hard time calling a guy a murderer who acted from an instinct of mercy, and without alot of time to think about it.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          is there a middle ground between honorable and murder? Like, say, manslaughter? I agree with whoever posted the Terri-hypocrisy thing, but i have a hard time calling a guy a murderer who acted from an instinct of mercy, and without alot of time to think about it.
          Not necessarily first-degree murder, but it is murder in the sense of "unlawful killing." Manslaughter is reserved for when there is no intent to kill, AFAIK. That isn't the case here.

I'm not saying the soldier acted out of malice, just that, if the prisoner did not consent, what he did was wrong.

I voted "need more info," btw.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Instant Polyjury -- was it honorable "to put him out of his misery"

Originally posted by DanS
            The company commander, after being told by his medic that the militant wasn't going to make it, "put him out of his misery"
            If true, yes, it's the most honourable thing to do. If the only prospect of that man was to agonize for hours, the soldier who put him out of his misery was right in doing so.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Depends... if the wounded guy asked to be "taken out of his misery" then I see no reason why not. Of course it could easily be a situation where it wasn't possible to say if he wished for it or not and in such cases it shouldn't be just one soldier to decide if he should be "helped" or not
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Tough to say. What was the excact extent of the injuries? If its like Whoha said and the guy was missing half his head, then probably. Imagine a guy flopping around on the ground missing half his head making gurgling noises out of what is left of his throat and a medic sitting right there saying "There is nothing I can do to save him." Yeah, in that case, I'd shoot him too. However, if it wasn't that extreme, then I'd try to give him morphine (medics sometimes have it) or some kind of seditive.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

He should have left him in the care of his medic. That is the honourable thing to do. The only (possible) reason to shoot him would be if there was no possibility of anyone providing care, given some extreme set of circumstances.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

It was done all the time in the Civil War. However, and given the context of the war in Iraq, it was a stupid decision. If the facts are correct, it was merciful, but given the context of the conflict, and the fact situations like this are propaganda coups for the insurgency if they get into the press- let them die in agony at the side of the road. They played with fire, i.e. working for al-Sadr, they can die with the consequences. I can be a callous S*B at times.
                    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                      It was honourable if the details true.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

DANS!

NO BANANA OPTION!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

More facts are needed. Like what the medic's testimony. Whether the Iraqi asked to be killed. Stuff like that.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

IMO, if this guy was a Sadr militant, and armed and opposing the US troops, then his life doesn't mean **** to me

he was lucky to receive death

but if he was just some innocent guy, then
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Ugh, I'm siding with Winston.
                              Me too.
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

honorable? i dunno. i don't give a ****.

killing people, especially non-white non-americans.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X