Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Thumbs Up" gesture considered obscene in Iraq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Thumbs Up" gesture considered obscene in Iraq?

Just read an article about the "Iraq Culture Smart Cards" for US soldiers serving in Iraq. They provide some basic info about the country, language help, general rules for behaviour etc.

One of the cards says "don't make the "OK" or "thumbs up" signs; they are considered obscene"

Has somebody an idea why they think that?
    Blah

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

My guess is that it refers to insertion of object into the rectal orifice.
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I suppose it's just the way things are. Like in UK two fingers extended is considered an obscenity while in America it's not. We use the middle finger instead

Letter 't' in American Sign Language is considered obscene in many countries.

It's just that way.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Different cultural meanings of gestures like these sometimes make for subtle ways of expressing an opinion.

Like the time during the memorial service for President Reagan, when Pres. G. W. Bush was making his eulogy in the cathedral. Among all the dignitaries I noticed a man dressed in traditional Arab clothing, the sari or whatever it's called, seated at the aisle, who had his legs crossed so that his right foot rested on his left knee, thereby the whole time displaying his foot sole to the President as he spoke. A traditional Arab gesture of contempt as I'm led to understand. I thought it was in very poor taste during a memorial service, but quite clever nonetheless, as to most onlookers it would appear as just another way of seating oneself.

Comment

So all those Iraqis welcoming the US soldiers by waving, smiling and giving the OK or thumbs up actually meant "**** off you ****ing *******s".
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Well, it was fairly well known by then. I distinctly remember MtG telling us about it. The ostentation of the thumbs-up was a bit "strange", don't you think?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                  So all those Iraqis welcoming the US soldiers by waving, smiling and giving the OK or thumbs up actually meant "**** off you ****ing *******s".

Nope. This was explained at great length at the time - while the gesture had different meaning in THEIR culture, they knew what it meant in OUR culture. The problem wasnt the folks giving the thumbs up sign,it was their neighbors staying inside sullen.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'm sure it tickled them to no end to be telling us to **** off at the same time as they were saying thanks.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Everyone in Iraq knows the western meaning for the thumbs up while traditionally in Arab countries the thumbs up means "up your ass". You can pretty much tell which meaning people are trying to convey through their body language. Now days if an Iraqi wants to show someone he's pissed off he'll flip them the bird and only the really old people still use thumbs up as an insult.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

how about we give the middle finger instead.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            I'm sure it tickled them to no end to be telling us to **** off at the same time as they were saying thanks.

It's like the thrill one can get when discussing canines which just happen to be female in English (or Russian, for that matter).^-^
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                              I suppose it's just the way things are. Like in UK two fingers extended is considered an obscenity while in America it's not. We use the middle finger instead
                              The two fingers is more a taunt than an obscenity.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X