Scientific American is the bomb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ramo
    Besides dictating what science gets done...
    Except that that doesn't have anything to do with science. Funding for a supercollider in Europe won't affect the actual existence of the Higgs boson.

Comment

• Besides dictating what science gets done.

You still didn't answer my questions.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

That's exactly what I was thinking. What a crock of ****.
        says the person who believes in trickle-down and the swiss cheese economy...

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          What a ridiculous article...
          No details or an explination of why you feel that why? Perhaphes you are afraid if you give a reason then thinking people will be able to refut your logic thus you simply name call.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• DanS - instead of name calling, I'll give you a challenge. Post reputable challenges to what Oerdin posted above. I'll counter. I'll bet you that over half of what was posted is exactly what conservatives have stated they want - in their own words. No Washington Times quotes, though I will accept the WSJ - I read that one.

Now if you want to argue that most of that list is good, and what will put America on the right track - fine, we will have a debate. However, name-calling when the quote includes much of what Family News in Focus, the Heritage Foundation, various Neocon groups, etc. specifically claim to champion is diningeuous at best. At it's worst, I'll start sounding like you.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Poor USA
              The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

• No details or an explination of why you feel that why? Perhaphes you are afraid if you give a reason then thinking people will be able to refut your logic thus you simply name call.

Nah, I just don't feel like taking the time out of my weekend to fisk a lengthy article chock full of assinine statements. Easier to just treat it with the disdain it deserves rather than waste time and energy pretending that it is worth debating.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• You can't refut it so the name calling continues. Typical. It is said such reactions are the last redoubt of the losing party.

Comment

• OK, Oerdin...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• How very Republican of you, Drake.

Comment

SciAm also covers the history of science and technology, should that be axed as well?

I hope not, because the religious zealots who want to have a science that suits their faith and doesn't conflict with awkward little things like observation, measurement, results, data and so on, might just possibly miss out on this quote:

" I do not detract from God. Everything that is, is from him and because of him. But [nature] is not confused and without system and as far as human knowledge has progressed it should be given a hearing. Only when it fails utterly should there be recourse to God."

He also said:

" Those who are now called authorities reached that position first by the exercise of their reason... Wherefore, if you want to hear anything more from me, give and take reason."

Sound advice for some people in this thread.

Who is this contemporary upsetter of idols ?

Why Adelard of Bath of course:

Born: 1075 a.d. in Bath, England
                        Died: 1160 a.d.

His 'Quaestiones Naturales' :

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Besides dictating what science gets done.
                          Dictating what science gets done has nothing to do with the science itself. Again, a debate over which country to put a test fusion reactor in has nothing to do with fusion reactions!

Comment

SciAm devotes a single page to excerpts from articles 50, 100, and 150 years ago. Red herring.

Actually, the history of the specific science/tech is included in many articles.
                            As such, it often actually illuminates the topic at hand, and it's often actual science (just like they explain the history of ideas in physics in physics class - but they skip anything unscientific like Aristotle).

And exactly how many pages per issue are dedicated to policy matters alone?

There's an entire column, and always an article or two.

Comment

• Except for the fact that the science matters diddly squat all until it gets done. It may be very all well and good that the Higgs Boson is out there or that fusion reactions occur under X conditions but until we actually do the long, hard process of getting the actual science done (the lab work, the data gathering, the long hours spent repeating the experiment, publishing, peer review, etc) then they might as well be magical pixies.

The fusion reactions don't mean a damn until we dictate what science gets done, build the reactor, and actually discover what's going on inside it.
                              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

• Originally posted by Starchild
                                magical pixie.

It's how I envisage you, with a leavening of hard science of course.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X