No announcement yet.

Questions for Poly Republicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...to what extent do you feel that the RR controls the GOP?
    Tough to say. Maybe 20%. Probably less.

...does the RR dominate only on the news, while old-school GOPers hold the true power?
    The RR is part of a fairly broad GOP coalition. If the RR doesn't hold up its part of the bargain, it has no power at all.

...is this simply a regional phenomenon?
    Not sure what you mean here.

...are you concerned that the RR will eventually take true control of the party?
    Again, this doesn't happen in a coalition. If the RR feels it can't hold up its end of the bargain, it will either leave, or everybody else will leave.

...what will be the ultimate consequences of RR control, both for you as a moderate and for the party as a whole?
    See above. You're scared of ghosts under your bed.

...what will be the consequences for the nation?
    See above. You're scared of ghosts under your bed.

...what must be done to diminish the influence of the RR?
    Nothing. If the GOP squeezes the RR too hard, it will leave the party.

...should the RR's influence be diminished?
    No.

...is the rise of the RR simply reflective of changing societal views?
    It hasn't really risen that much. Middle-of-the-road conservatism's rise is astonishing in comparison. About a third of all voters in the last election identified themselves as conservatives.

...any other thoughts or insights?
    Yeh. This is a good first step in getting out of the lefty echo chambers you undoubtedly have been visiting for a year or two. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the RR. It's mainstream conservatism's appeal to basic values that is strenghtening the party.
    Last edited by DanS; March 25, 2005, 00:17.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I personally am in the Guiliani-Schwarzennegger branch of the party. However, I recognize that the Republican Party would not be a majority party without the support of the social conservatives. Therefore, I think the Republican party has to accomodate its base as best it can without becoming too extreme.

Bush said as much in the Weed interviews. He personally is not in a member of the RR, but he recognizes the realities of national politics.

The real threat to the Republican Party is a move to the right by national Democrat politicians. Hilliary has been making socially conservative noises recently.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

...to what extent do you feel that the RR controls the GOP?

Too much. They aren't running things directly, but they have an immense indirect power.

...does the RR dominate only on the news, while old-school GOPers hold the true power?

Unfortunetly no. By old-school GOPers, I think of Dole, who I'd love to have full power.

...is this simply a regional phenomenon?

No, but I'd have to say the amount of influence depends on the regions. In New Jersey, we definetly weren't as influenced by the RR as the South is... though RR issues were still somewhat important.

...are you concerned that the RR will eventually take true control of the party?

Yeah, it's why I'm considering myself more of an independant.

...what will be the ultimate consequences of RR control, both for you as a moderate and for the party as a whole?

I'll leave and the Republicans will at some point be marginalized. They may have the upperhand now, but eventually they'll be viewed like the Catholics. Antiquated, unless they can move with the times.

...what will be the consequences for the nation?

Not good. Democrat control once they get with the program. Much much much more partisanship as I think Obama will start up a religious left and there will be a political holy war.

...what must be done to diminish the influence of the RR?

Push moderates over ultra right wingers. It only starts from the RNC.

...should the RR's influence be diminished?

YES!

...is the rise of the RR simply reflective of changing societal views?

No, it's the manipulation of old societal views and a misrepresentation of the progress of society.

...any other thoughts or insights?

Where are the Bob Dole Republicans? Yes, he was religious, but he didn't let it dominate his agenda.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

Not Nixon, Reagan.
          the '68 election tore the social conservatives from the rest of the Democrats, Reagan just mopped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

the '68 election tore the social conservatives from the rest of the Democrats, Reagan just mopped up.
            Odin, I think you should review the facts of the '68 election. It was very close. Wallace and Humphrey split most of South between them. Nixon took a couple of border states, IIRC.

Nixon took the whole country in '72. So that election was not decided by the social conservatives.

The South voted solidly Democrat in '76. This shows that there was no permanent shift to the Republicans until a later date.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I personally am in the Guiliani-Schwarzennegger branch of the party
              Ned is a liberal, Ned is a liberal...

By old-school GOPers, I think of Dole, who I'd love to have full power.
              Senator for sale

Comment

Yes, the RR are in the news more than in control of GOP. But the GOP knows they must give their ear to the RR. It is a change in societal values.

While I'm not a moderate Republican I'm not really RR either. I disagree with some things the RR often expresses but I think their influence is positive despite the media knee-jerk tendency to villify them at every turn.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Ned is a liberal, Ned is a liberal...
                  I have said many times that I am a Kenndy liberal.

Comment

The Republicans, by jumping on the RR tiger is now in a bind, thier coalition is becoming unstable, the party will not be able to hold on to both the RR AND the libertarians at the same time for much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

I have said many times that I am a Kenndy liberal.
                      My family considers themselves "Kennedy liberals" and they are nothing like you.

Comment

BTW (aimed at Ned): I thought Carter won because Ford was an inept fool and because of a temprary backlash against the Republicans because of Watergate?

Comment

The Republicans, by jumping on the RR tiger is now in a bind, thier coalition is becoming unstable
                          If it's becoming unstable, I see no indications of it. Rather, the GOP coalition has held together remarkably well.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

If it's becoming unstable, I see no indications of it. Rather, the GOP coalition has held together remarkably well.
                            Weren't the deficit hawks blasting Bush and his buddies in Congress for spending like theirs no tomorrow?

I think it looks stable, but so did the Democrats before '68.

Comment

Push moderates over ultra right wingers. It only starts from the RNC.

Except the moderates don't believe in anything with enough strength to motivate the party.
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Except the moderates don't believe in anything with enough strength to motivate the party.

Eisenhower certain did. You look at good people and they will motivate the party. Powell is a moderate, but I'm sure he could motivate the party, as well as the country.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X