Recommend Provost A New Hi Fi System.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Provost A New Hi Fi System.

Yep, my old system has died so I need a new one. Well we seem to have enthusiasts for just about everything so I would expect this is no exception. I am not too sure of what my budget is but don't go too extreme...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Richer Sounds!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

They have lots of good DVD players out these days that are also receivers, CD players, and tuners that come with complete surround sound speaker packages.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

PC? Buy some decent speakers and you're all set to go.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Panasonic 800W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with 5-Disc DVD/CD/MP3 Player

Model: SC-HT720

This home theater system offers a 5-disc DVD player with cutting-edge multiformat support and a 260W powered subwoofer.

Complete home theater system includes 5.1-channel amplifier with built-in surround sound decoders, DVD/CD/MP3 player, digital AM/FM tuner, 5 satellite speakers and a subwoofer

Progressive-scan video output maximizes DVD picture quality when used with a digital TV or monitor

Built-in Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS surround sound decoders. Learn more about surround sound home theater

Total output: 800W (receiver: 540W @ 4 ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD; subwoofer: 260W @ 4 ohms, 100Hz, 10% THD)

DVD player plays CD, CD-R/RW, DVD-Video, DVD-R/RAM, DVD/Audio, HighMAT Level 2, WMA, MP3, JPEG and HDCD formats

6 DSP soundfields and center focus multichannel soundfield function

DVD player features progressive-scan (4:4:4 signal processing; 4:3 shrink; letterbox zoom and shift), depth enhancer, variable zoom, monitor select, dialogue enhancer and cinema mode

Quartz-synthesized digital AM/FM tuner with 30 station presets

5 compact satellite speakers with mounting holes and built-in nuts

6-3/4" cone subwoofer with built-in 260W amplifier for immersive low-range sound; 4-step subwoofer level control on remote

Inputs: 3 stereo audio, 3 rear A/V, 1 RF antenna

Outputs: 1 stereo audio, 1 rear A/V, 1 S-video, 1 component video, 1 composite video, headphone jack

Universal remote included

ENERGY STAR compliant

On sale for $299.00
          Monkey!!!

Comment

arcam (arcam.co.uk) make really nice stuff that is affordable. I have an old alpha series CD player and amp and they still sound pretty good.

Worth trying out.

http://www.castle.uk.com/ make really nice speakers that aren't too dear either.

Try those out at your local audiophile store.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Go for the best speakers and component-level receiver you can afford (in that order!), and patch it into your computer.

Add other components as need or fancy strikes you, but don't skimp on that core, and you will never regret it.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Like Agathon said:

I have the same problem. I have one of those cheap Sony all-in-one systems, with 3 CD changer. The damn Cd's are always skipping... Man, I barely listen to music anymore, it's depressing. Unfortunately, I can't afford a new system. So I'll probably get either an Ipod Mini or a Zen Micro.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Do you need to buy new speakers? If not, an option would be too plug your PC to a good DAC and a good amplifier and your all set. Voilà, you have transformed your PC in a high fi ipod! With a good DAC, your soundcard doesn't matter, since it overrides the soundcard.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

If you buy separates, and you should PH, make sure to set aside money for decent cabling.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

If you buy separates, and you should PH, make sure to set aside money for decent cabling.
                      True. I know someone who spent 100 bucks for cables. He says it makes a huge difference. But you don't have to go that far, 40$ cables will do the trick.

Comment

$100? Is that all? I spent more than that on interconnects.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          arcam (arcam.co.uk) make really nice stuff that is affordable. I have an old alpha series CD player and amp and they still sound pretty good.

Worth trying out.

http://www.castle.uk.com/ make really nice speakers that aren't too dear either.

I'd agree completely, except on the affordable stakes. NAD make decent stuff that's a bit cheaper than Arcam, and Denon and Marantz cheaper still. These aren't exactly 'cheap', but they are affordable, and going second hand you can get a nice bargain. Much Yamaha stuff is good, but you have to make sure it's their audiophile stuff rather than the mass market crap they spew.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...761870235&rd=1 is a great amp. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...762078414&rd=1 is the old version, and what I have. Paid £150 for it and *very* happy with it, both hooked up to CD player and to PC. It's generally pretty positively reviewed too: http://www.epinions.com/pr-NAD_C340_...splay_~reviews

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...501974967&rd=1 is a really good CD player.

If you can afford and have room for them, these are a great set of speakers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting are like the ones I have, though maybe something with a little more base end is better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...761867061&rd=1 is an excellent pair of speakers. A little more vibrant and lively than the Castles, and while possibly less detailed, more engaging and fun.

Hi-fi store special offers and ex-dem/used stuff is always worth a look. I can thoroughally recommend Audio Excellence, they're nice to deal with and usually have some really good deals over the net. I bought half my system from them in the end

All in all, you should be able to find a really decent system second hand for under £400. If you don't mind using your PC as the CD/MP3 player, you could get away with £250-300 and add a CD player later.
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            $100? Is that all? I spent more than that on interconnects.
                            As you should. In blind tests, the difference between decent, non-branded thick cable and the 10 times the price Monster cable is negligable. However decent interconnects last many times longer than cheaper ones.

I spent ~$40 on interconnects, to get gold plated ones, but the wire came free with the speakers, as they were bought from a private seller. It's good wire, and he'd upgraded to bi-wire speakers so hadn't a need for it, but it's nothing branded or horrendously expensive.

Speaker wire is easy to get for relatively cheap money, just make sure it's thick copper wiring or a decent weight and quality.
                            Smile
                            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                              Go for the best speakers and component-level receiver you can afford (in that order!), and patch it into your computer.
                              You mean speakers and an amp, don't you?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X