X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you good with retards and such?

I ain't.

I dont/can't feel comfortable around people with mental disabilities. Physical disbilities I can cope with, but retards and such...not.
    I dont hate them, its just that...I....I....dont even know why.
    I know 2 people who work with retards 50 hours a week and I cant even start to understand how they do it. I cant help but feel pity and discust for these people at the same time. I know they're probably kind and all but I dont see myself relating to them.
    What I think I would need to happen for me to be comfortable with them someday is to be stuck with one in a particular situation so that I wouldn't have a choice but to adapt.
    You know what I mean people.
    Example of how I react. The other day, I was at the mall, and this about 6 year old kid was sitting in a wheelchair next to me and his mother. He was smilling at me and was saying stuff. I know he wanted my attention in some way but...His arms couldn't move right, he couldn't speak well and what he was saying didn't make sense to me at all. I smilled back without even answering to the poor kid cuz I didn't know what he was saying. I mean, he should be the uncomfortable one, not me....but it wasn't the case.
    And since I just smilled and didn't say anything, cuz, frankly, I didn't know what to say, I felt even worst for the kid cuz all he wanted was to chat a bit....or so I think.
    I hate being such an un-accomodating jerk with retards but I cant help it.

Are some poly people like me or am I just a ****** with retards myself.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Well, I have to deal with the retards that post here
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

my sister works with autistic children... her boyfriend also works with mentally handicapped children.

I could never do that
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Seriously man, the other day, the other day, one lady that I know brang some retards home with her for a special occasion and my girlfriend wanted to go see her mother which was at the ladys home at the sametime. I didn't want to go and be stuck there with 3 retards.

I find my self discusting even though I know I cant do it and its not out of hate but "fear".

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

edit: wrong thread LOL
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

X-Post, Sava?

Anyway, I'm kind of with Spec. I have a hard time dealing with people with mental disorders.

Comment

You mean seriously retarded people, not just jerks? Now that I think of it, I actually haven't been around one IRL. I'm sure it's not a pleasant experience.

Comment

Seriously mentally retarded people? I have no problem with, they're like that through no fault of their own and are often incredibly creative, strong and humble which I totally respect. So they can't hold down a conversation so well, just means the able-minded have to try harder.

Plain stupid people... belligerent idiots and people with double-figure IQ's? I can't stand them. Too many memories of being bullied for being a booknut. Most are basically animals, but not in a good way for they're also arrogant, self-assured and supercilious. Ironic because sometimes I think I'm like that.
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

At my lower school (4-9) we had a unit in a building on campus for children with severe learning difficulties... downs syndrome etc, and we all had to help out with the teaching and play with the kids... stuff like that... I think that was really good at building tolerance. We also learned sign language which is useful to an 8 year old
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I'm pretty good friends with not one, but two people with pretty hardcore Asperger's. It's a royal pain to get them to do everything, and they're socially awkward and offputting at first, but they're some of the most brilliant people I know.

A friend's little sister has Downs symdrome, and she's the sweetest girl in the world.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        I'm pretty good friends with not one, but two people with pretty hardcore Asperger's. It's a royal pain to get them to do everything, and they're socially awkward and offputting at first, but they're some of the most brilliant people I know.

A friend's little sister has Downs symdrome, and she's the sweetest girl in the world.
                        I'm sure they are. But even so, I cant deal with them. It's not something I can control but rather something I feel.

Spec.

Comment

Its not uncommon for people to feel uncomfortable around people that are mentally challegend, as long as you dont harrass or try to hurt them in anyway. Most of the time they dont even know that they might be annoying you.
                          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I can deal with people that have some disorders... dealt with several, including one that was, I suspect, autistic. I have a very hard time dealing with people who are not retarded, but are generally jerks and very unintelligent, they annoy me a lot. Retards, though... I can deal with them. To be specific, they find talking to me rather easy, even if they're normally experiencing difficulties communicating. Also, if they're the kind that's hyperactive and hard to reason with, I am usually able to calm these people and so on.

This seems to be something I inherited. My mother definitely has excellent abilities in communicating to socially impaired or somewhat mental.

That being said, I have not encountered people with heavy mental disorders, such as serious schizophrenia... then again, they're typically in mental facilities, which is not a place I visit.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

some schizophrenis are easier to deal with then seriously autistic people. There is medication that can help the schizophrenics but not the autistic. Any way I have no problem being around anytype of person Even the jerks, those I can ignore.
                              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X