I'm sick of the hate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sick of the hate.

A teenager comes into my boyfriend's work the other day.....

He says he notices us whenever we walk together in the mall.... (its not like we even dare hold hands in the South or kiss or whatever)

He tells my BF that he is going to kill me. Then he leaves.

I'm sick of this ****.

Then I read this today:

Gay Man's Beating Shakes N.M. Residents

By HEATHER CLARK, Associated Press Writer

SANTA FE, N.M. - This postcard-pretty tourist town peppered with art galleries, trendy restaurants and turquoise jewelry shops calls itself "The City Different" in recognition of its quirkiness, diverse population and progressive politics.

But ever since a 21-year-old man was beaten unconscious by a group of men allegedly yelling anti-gay slurs, some people are wondering whether the city isn't a little naive about its self-image.

Amyel Oliveros, a gay 17-year-old, said he thinks twice about the route he takes home from school and worries that his plaid scarf might clue in strangers to his sexuality.

"I thought for a while maybe I should act even more straight, but it wasn't me," he said.

Second only to San Francisco in the percentage of same-sex households, Santa Fe, population 62,000, promotes itself as a vacation spot for gays, and a pride celebration fills the Spanish-style plaza each summer. A retirement village to open next year trumpets itself as the only such place in the nation catering mainly to gay retirees.

"I thought I was in a gay haven, I mean, Santa Fe," Oliveros said.

According to the 2000 Census, nearly 2 percent of all of the metropolitan area's "coupled households" — married or unmarried — are headed by same-sex couples.

The Feb. 27 attack began when a group of young men confronted James Maestas and a male companion outside a restaurant where they had all just eaten. One of the alleged assailants, Gabriel Maturin, told police he became offended when one of the two put his hand on Maturin's chest.

Then, outside a motel nearby, Maturin saw the two men kissing, and he and another man started pummeling Maestas, according to Maturin's account. The attackers yelled, "******s!" among other slurs, according to witnesses.

Maestas suffered a broken nose, a concussion and lung injuries, and contracted pneumonia during his recovery at a hospital. His companion, Joshua Stockham, 24, suffered minor injuries.

Maturin, 20, and five others have been charged, including a 17-year-old on probation for raping a 4-year-old boy. All have pleaded not guilty.

Tom Clark, Maturin's attorney, said: "I want them tried by the court and the state, not in the court of public opinion because the court of public opinion is notoriously uninformed."

Prosecutors plan to seek a hate crime enhancement on all six cases, the first time that provision — which could tack on a year to any sentence — has been sought since it became law in 2003.

"The community is depressed and outraged, and there's a lot of activity as far as discussing next steps," said Rachel Rosen, a friend of the Maestas family and chairwoman of Equality New Mexico, a gay rights organization.

A vigil days after the attack drew hundreds of people to the plaza. A sit-in a week later at the state Capitol sponsored by the Anti-Homophobia Action Committee drew about two dozen people. A fund to help pay Maestas' hospital bills has collected $6,500.

Seeking a root cause, some have blamed anti-gay language during the current session of the Legislature, where a measure to ban gay marriage has been debated. That bill was prompted in part by a New Mexico county clerk's decision to issue marriage licenses last year to about 60 gay couples.

"I can tell you that anywhere that there is anti-gay rhetoric and hate speech allowed in our schools and in the Legislature, there will be violence," Rosen said.

Now out of the hospital, Maestas has remained out of public view. Friends describe him as a funny, peaceful person who doesn't know how to fight.

Susanna Roberts, 17, who shared a backyard fence with him growing up in Santa Fe, visited him in the hospital.

"Just because he was gay," she said, shaking her head. "It's just unbelievable."

I'm so sick of this, it depresses me, why can't people just leave gays alone, and more importantly to me, leave ME the **** alone.

I am a human being like everybody else.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

I was just about to post this too. I found this the most charming bit:

Maturin, 20, and five others have been charged, including a 17-year-old on probation for raping a 4-year-old boy.
    That's the type they like the most in prison: Pedophiles. Sweet dreams, assh*le...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

The 17 year old hated fags so much he ass raped a 4 year old?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I hope you're not looking for a logical explaination. I doubt there is one beyond some Freudian jabber.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Sometimes the rape is with objects, or is forced oral sex, depending on the way the statute is worded. Please understand that it is that kind of crime that keeps me from being opposed to the death penalty, versus my opposition to it's implementation in the US. Someone who would rape a 4 year old, if you can catch the sucker red-handed (no rational doubt vs. reaonable doubt) - I could look him in the eye and pull the lever.

Or, if it was my little girl - I'd just make sure her picture got passed around at the prison, that and some of her videos. I think the felons would take care of the punishment for me, and somebody would get too rough in the end. Figuratively and literally.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Two-to-three generations ago, this is the kind of treatment often inflicted on racial and religious minorities. We've grown past that Troglodite mindset for every minority except gays. For some reason, some people still believe it is okay to discriminate against them [or worse: attack, threaten and even kill them].

Rule One: People are people are people.
            Rule Two: Always remember Rule One.

Comment

I really don't think Thorn is gay. Yes I said the same thing about Fez (he finally provided me proof), but only because I thought Fez was Thorn's DL. In fact, I still think he's Thorn's DL. In that case he is gay, because he's the same person.

This thread is just a cry for attention. I doubt this even happened.

Comment

I doubt Dissident really exists!
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I..I..I just doubt.......I think.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    I really don't think Thorn is gay. Yes I said the same thing about Fez (he finally provided me proof), but only because I thought Fez was Thorn's DL. In fact, I still think he's Thorn's DL. In that case he is gay, because he's the same person.

This thread is just a cry for attention. I doubt this even happened.
                    What proof, did he give you a blow job or something, hell no am I doing that ****!
                    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

come on big boy, you know you want it.

Comment

So, Diss, when will you host the Fez pics and link to them in your sig?
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: I'm sick of the hate.

Originally posted by Thorn
                          A teenager comes into my boyfriend's work the other day.....

He says he notices us whenever we walk together in the mall.... (its not like we even dare hold hands in the South or kiss or whatever)

He tells my BF that he is going to kill me. Then he leaves.
                          Kill him.
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Dissident is restricted... discuss the topics and not the posters... Who's next?
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I hate the hate to, truth be known as long as you are different some wise ass is always going to make himself be known. Accept the fact that you are a much bigger person by not stooping to levels of an idiot. Its easier to be and idiot then to walk away.
                              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X