4% of the population sociopaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4% of the population sociopaths

I always get over relationships quickly, but this one has left me shattered and angry and baffled.

This idea of ordinary people with no conscience is pretty radical and kind of terrifying. Why are so few of us aware of it?

Because we aren't looking for it. We don't imagine that there are human beings that exist without a conscience. And when we encounter it, we reinterpret it in all kinds of ways. Because who is going to believe you when you say that your psychotherapist lied to you in order to make you end up in restraints? Or that your colleague stole your briefcase to make you look bad? Or that a high-ranking political figure broke his secretary's arm? It's the sort of thing that makes people feel crazy, rather than making them feel like the other person is crazy.

How did you first become aware of these people?

I've been a therapist for trauma survivors for 25 years. I would listen to story after story, and I began to wonder about these people who were hurting my patients. They sounded so different from the rest of humanity. We have this feeling that if one person is capable of doing something, then under certain circumstances we would all be capable of doing the same thing. I no longer think that's true. I think that 4 percent of us can do anything at all without guilt or remorse. And I do mean anything.

How did you arrive at the 4 percent figure? Most of what I've read about conscienceless people puts the rate at about 1 percent.

It is confusing. It's confusing even if you know about psychological studies and how to compare them. Most of the data that we have still has to do with incarcerated felons -- usually men who have been violent. There is very little data on non-incarcerated nonviolent sociopaths, and even less data on women than men. But we are increasingly finding that sociopathy is as common among women as it is among men.

I looked at it all, and given the increasing data about women, I came to the conclusion that it was approximately 4 percent.

And that's why we don't see them as criminals? Because beating someone is a crime, but harming them emotionally is not?

Exactly. Getting someone fired or tormenting your children is usually pretty private and not always actionable.

What makes you decide that a person is or isn't a sociopath?

Conceptually, for the purposes of the book, I'm talking about people who have exhibited symptoms such as extreme chronic deceitfulness, lack of remorse, lack of personal responsibility, and a general desire to control people and make them jump.

Clinically speaking, if someone is suspected of sociopathy, then the therapist would consider the DSM [The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV's assessment for antisocial personality disorder] and apply the Hare inventory [the Psychopathy Checklist developed by Dr. Robert Hare]. Then we would talk to other people in the person's family and in that person's past and try to pin down the diagnosis.

What does it mean to lack a conscience?

It's a completely alien mindset. Most of us can imagine what it's like to have depression or even be crazy. But not having a conscience? You can't love anyone, even your own children? I believe that conscience, or lack of it, is a much more fundamental distinction than our moods or sense of rationality. All of us can be a little irrational. But our capacity to be emotionally linked to other people is much more fundamental, so much so that we don't even think about it. You don't ask yourself if you're going to give your child lunch money. You don't think of that as making a choice.

Are the majority of sociopaths committing really heinous crimes?

No. Most sociopaths are not violent and probably never will be. They are the people we see every day: The boss who likes to ridicule people. The seduce-and-abandon lover who does this mainly for fun. The person who marries for money or prestige and no apparent other reason. These people aren't necessarily serial killers, but they cause a lot of harm.

So how do you know if your boss is a sociopath or just a jerk?

If you have a jerk boss who's lazy and always wants you to do things at the last minute, or asks for unreasonable things like making coffee, that's not necessarily sociopathy. If you have a boss who likes to ridicule people and make them jump and seems to get a kick out if it, that's more likely to be sociopathy. It's motivation.

Is a conscience something you're born with?

About 50 percent of the variant seems to be accounted for by heredity. The other 50 percent would be shaped by something in the environment. The interesting thing is that we haven't been able to determine what that is. Everyone's first guess is child abuse, but it turns out that as group they haven't been abused any more than any other group.

Can it actually be an advantage to be a sociopath?

For a while it can be an advantage. But most sociopaths end not with a bang but a whimper. There's not much on this planet for us except our relations with other living forms. So for sociopaths, it's a fairly barren landscape. In the end it can't work out, but for a while it looks like it does.

Interesting.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

That is interesting. Good article.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I wonder if this proportion of the population (assuming his guesswork is correct) has been relatively constant through mankind's history, or if it has increased or decreased as population density increases? I always thought of sociopathy in terms of a short-term (individual lifetime) survival strategy, the willingness to do anything to achieve your ends without the hindrance of empathy (although it is disadvantaged also, in that empathy helps groups help each other).

Hare's Psychopaths Among Us and Cleckley's Mask of Sanity are excellent books for those wishing to read more (particularly Hare's book). At one time I thought I might be sociopathic, but my sense of empathy seems to have made significant gains in the last decade (though it's still not very strong and I can usually suppress it at will).

Comment

Although it may not just be a short-term strategy. There was a theory posited once that rape was a valid tactic for dissemination of genes; (some) sociopaths can rape readily without feeling bad for what they've done.

Comment

So who here on Poly is a sociopath? Surely there must be at least one among our ranks....
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I think the 4% is high for a pure sociopath. But I'd say greater than 4% can act sociapathically. Of course I haven't done a study on it.

I'd also surmise that a sociopath can love their children viewing them as an extension of themselves.
            Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
              So who here on Poly is a sociopath? Surely there must be at least one among our ranks....
              You fool. How do you think they recruit moderators?
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

You fool. How do you think they recruit moderators?
                Well, one mod is Ming the Merciless.

Bwah-hah-hah-haaaahhhhhh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

Well, to accuse the libertarians who do not believe in the existence of altruism would perhaps be too cheap a shot.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera

Well, one mod is Ming the Merciless.

Bwah-hah-hah-haaaahhhhhh!!!
                    It's called tough love, ajbera.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

It's called tough love, ajbera.
                      The best kind, DanS. Real love leaves scars.

Comment

Those 4% must be the libertarians.

Comment

I'd also surmise that a sociopath can love their children viewing them as an extension of themselves.

Maybe, but it would be an exception to the rule, I think.

In any case, I don't think one can speak of " act sociapathically". You're either a sociopath, or just act like an *******. sociopaths are *******s all the time.

Another scary fact: It is uncurable, and AFAIK it is caused by brain physiology ( either genetically or developmentally )
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

Well, to accuse the libertarians who do not believe in the existence of altruism would perhaps be too cheap a shot.

If it's a cheap shot, it's also an accurate one.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

In any case, I don't think one can speak of " act sociapathically". You're either a sociopath, or just act like an *******. sociopaths are *******s all the time.

What I mean is an underdeveloped conscious. They can in general screw people over with little thought or care. I'm saying that not all of the 4% are probably pure sociopaths. Kind of like the difference between a scitzophrenic and a scitzoid(can't remember the exact term.) One is curable the other is not.

Another scary fact: It is uncurable

So are many cancers, currently.
                              Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Working...
                              X