Next Spider-Man Villain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Spider-Man Villain

Ok...so a slightly misleading title. The actor has been revealed but the villain has not.

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Thomas Haden Church, who was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor in "Sideways," has been cast as Spidey's new archenemy in the next chapter of the "Spider-Man" franchise.

Director Sam Raimi made the annoncement Monday along with producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

"Spider-Man 3," which is scheduled for release May 4, 2007, will reunite the team that was responsible for the first two blockbuster films, which combined to gross more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales.

The new film will again star Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and Kirsten Dunst is expected to reprise her role as Mary Jane Watson. Production on "Spider-Man 3" is scheduled to begin early next year.

"In addition to the ongoing relationship between Peter Parker and M.J., these films are driven by the great actors who have brought our villains to life," Raimi said. "Thomas Haden Church will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis, and we all look forward to working with him."

The filmmakers are not revealing the identity of the new villain.

Church is voicing one of the characters in the upcoming animated film "Charlotte's Web," and he recently appeared in Columbia Pictures' "Spanglish."

The actor's other credits include the films "George of the Jungle," "3000 Miles to Graceland," "Monkeybone" and "Tombstone." In 2003, he starred in, co-wrote and directed the comedy "Rolling Kansas." On the small screen, Church played Lowell Mather on the NBC series "Wings" from 1990-95 and starred on the 1995-97 Fox comedy "Ned and Stacey."
    So who would he be? Can't be the Lizard, because Doc Connors was already in Spider-Man 2. I highly doubt Venom, but since this is the last Spider-Movie, its possible.

I'm just happy they keep chosing great actors for villains. Sure beats the hell out of Ahh-nold.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Re: Next Spider-Man Villain

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
    I'm just happy they keep chosing great actors for villains.
    Too bad one of those "great actors" *cough*Willem Defoe*cough* turned in one of the hammiest, most scene-chewingly awful performances in the first film.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Hmmm, who could this guy be.....
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Mysterio? Electro?
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I thought they pretty much set up Peter's childhood friend (can't remember his name) returning as the Goblin at the end of Spiderman II?
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Since when is Thomas Hayden Church "a great actor"??

He acted well in Sideways, but lets not get carried away with his acting accumen.

I can spell a post perfectly sometimes, does not mean I am a master speller, now does it?
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Why can't it be the Lizard? They can recast Connors, it happens all the time.

Comment

Given one of the final scenes in SMII, it will either be Harry thinking he's the GG or someone else as the Hobgoblin.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

seems like he's played in tights before

Thomas Haden Church .... The Strobe/Ted Tilderbrook

Tagline: Not as good as regular superheroes, but slightly better than you. (more)

Plot Outline: A group of almost superheroes pursue their rightful place in the harshly competitive world of comic books and action figures
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

It better not be anything goblin-related

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                      Mysterio? Electro?
                      I've been racking my brain to think of all of Spidey's archenemies.

Mysterio
                      Electro
                      The Vulture
                      Juggernaut
                      Kraven

Hmmm, I know there are more but can't think of them.

Comment

who cares, Spiderman 1 sucked, Spiderman 2... **** people actually bothered to see it?

Spiderman 3 will be just as big a suck-fest.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yup, Lizard was in Spidey 2.

I've heard rumors, but I think it's more hope than not truth.

I'm thinking Sandman. THough he'd also make a good Shocker.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            Since when is Thomas Hayden Church "a great actor"??

He acted well in Sideways, but lets not get carried away with his acting accumen.

I can spell a post perfectly sometimes, does not mean I am a master speller, now does it?
                            I've always thought he was a great actor. I haven't seen Sideways. Wings was one of my favorite shows in syndication, and I've really enjoyed his roles in other things. Now that he has Sideways under his belt, and will be in Spider-Man III, he'll get a greater amount of venues to showcase his abilities.
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              Yup, Lizard was in Spidey 2.

I've heard rumors, but I think it's more hope than not truth.

I'm thinking Sandman. THough he'd also make a good Shocker.

oohhhh, he'd be a PERFECT Sandman. He totally has the jaw and face for it. I love the Sandman.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X