X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worldwide Soccer Thread I

Ok, continuance from this thread:

(Due to suggestion from MikeH... if you don't like the term 'soccer' in the title, it wouldn't have been pretty using 'football' instead).

Anyway, I wanna talk about Premier League action.

Newcastle's winning streak comes to an end with a tie against Pompey.

And Chelsea win big again welcoming back Robben, making the Premiership title all but won.

But the news of the EPL day was West Brom's drubbing of Charlton 4-1, to give them a bit of a lifeline to avoid relegation.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Worldwide Soccer, that was an excellent game.

You forgot the most important result today: Spurs beating Man City 2-1.

Also how about hearing more than EPL/Euro competitions, I know some have plenty of stories of their team, and were quietly ignored in other football threads.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Now why exactly was that an important result?

Cause Tottenham keeps pace with those holding the Europe spots? Cause Reyna was healthy enough to score for Man City?

Also how about hearing more than EPL/Euro competitions, I know some have plenty of stories of their team, and were quietly ignored in other football threads.

Well, they are welcome to discuss the Spanish or Italian or Brazilian or Japanese or whatever league they want to discuss. I just felt like starting with the EPL, since they are who I'm trying to get involved in. I haven't that much knowlege about the other leagues (not even the MLS in my country!!).

So I welcome that talk. I'm sure our French posters can tell us about Ligue 1, our German posters can speak on the Bundesliga, etc. I welcome them all .

Though I did see Juve beating Regina on GolTV. They didn't look all that good, but the announcers did mention Juventus tend to play down to their competition.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Re: Worldwide Soccer Thread I

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        And Chelsea win big again welcoming back Robben, making the Premiership title all but won.
        The third goal is a fluke, no doubt about it. Without that I am not sure if Keizman (or however his name is spelled) could score the forth.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Now why exactly was that an important result?

Cause Tottenham keeps pace with those holding the Europe spots? Cause Reyna was healthy enough to score for Man City?
          Nah, I know my team's place in the league. We might still grab a euro spot if we're lucky, but our squad is nowhere near ready for it, although that didnt stop Newcastle. Maybe it was just a weak draw this year though.

I saw Rafael Benitez is questioning his players character before the Everton match to the press, Bill Nicholson used to do the same thing with his Spurs sides of the 60's, if he was upset with them he'd complain to the press, the players would hold meetings and plan to get back and prove him wrong at the next match. I doubt Benitez commands the same (if any) respect from the Liverpool players though.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

good day for the top teams yesterday. the mighty arsenal won over blackburn 0-1, robin van persie scored, nice run and a cool finish, what i like to see.

chelsea were all over palace for most of their game, but palace could have gone 2-1 up before half time, andy johnson not able to finish for once.

looking forward to the mersey derby today, i predict a draw and maybe a bit of controversy
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I hadn't noticed that sectarian lyric in your sig before.....

Interesting timing, given the current focus on stamping out sectarianism in football.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                I saw Rafael Benitez is questioning his players character before the Everton match to the press, Bill Nicholson used to do the same thing with his Spurs sides of the 60's, if he was upset with them he'd complain to the press, the players would hold meetings and plan to get back and prove him wrong at the next match. I doubt Benitez commands the same (if any) respect from the Liverpool players though.
                Seems to be working so far. 'Pool are up 2-0 with goals from Gerrard and Garcia. Speaking of Gerrard, anyone think he actually ends up staying at Liverpool at the end of the year? I'm thinking next season he is wearing the blue of Chelsea or the white of Real Madrid (the latest galacticos).

And because of injuries, Liverpool have had to use all three subs by halftime, and they get ANOTHER injury! It's unreal!
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; March 20, 2005, 13:17.

Comment

I went to see Ajax - PSV today; we got trashed 0-4

Comment

Ouch! Quite a beating indeed! It seems like van Bommel had a stormer against you guys.

I didn't realize the PSV were on top the Eredivisie this season. Looks like they are going to run away with the title if they are playing that well!

Don't worry, your guys will bounce back. They always do.

Comment

Seems to be working so far. 'Pool are up 2-0 with goals from Gerrard and Garcia.
                      And now it's 2-1 with Baros sent off. It's getting interesting.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Fooking A! I wish they were freaking showing this on Fox Soccer Channel instead of a GOD DAMNED infomercials!

Everton down 1 goal, 1 man up... they'll have to attack-attack-attack, which isn't their forte, but it'd probably be very interesting seeing them try.

Comment

hey imran, you can talk about soccer without having to sound like a brit
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Nope, not allowed... er, mate .

Btw, where am I sounding like a 'brit'?

Comment

Ouch! Quite a beating indeed! It seems like van Bommel had a stormer against you guys.
                              Nah, his first goal was in the fourth minute of first-half overtime while there only should have been two minutes of OT
                              His second goal was a penalty, and the third was a crappy goal...

All in all, a flattering result. As the new coach, Blind still has a lot of work to do...

Comment

Working...
                              X