Massive student strike in Quebec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by General Ludd

They are citziens because they live under the government. What they do or do not have in common with other citizens isn't really an issue, but they are just as real as anyone else, I assure you.
    They are a small portion of the citizens, and they're asking for everyone else's money.

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc
      How is that denying the right to demonstrate?
      It's not. I was talking about the right to strike on that one.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
        What are your arguments, where are your people?
        If you don't give me the money my right to demonstrate is useless!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

They are a small portion of the citizens, and they're asking for everyone else's money.
          That's very astute.

Altough "asking for everyone else's money" is a bit misleading... they're not asking for all of it, and it comes out of their own pockets too.

A "small portion" can be misleading, too. It depends on what demographic you are talking about. The entire population? Yes. The youth? not so much so. Future workers? Pushing it. ect...

But this all has little to do with the fact that it is the government's duty to serve all citizens. If the students are failed or kicked out of school, it is not a success of the government (in a fight against it's own citzenry), it is a failure of the government to adequetly perform it's role.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• I know alot of you have a hardon for demonstrating and protesting and civil disobediance because you think it lets you stick it to the man, but do you ever stop and think about whether the demonstrators are right before you put your dixie up under the tap?

Canada is a representative democracy correct? God forbid an elected official makes a real call of financial realities instead of just giving money to whoever asks because the mob chants it. The check to this is the next election, not a group senior skip day posers who are actually nor even inconvienencing themselves to play concerened citizen.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• A "small portion" can be misleading, too. It depends on what demographic you are talking about. The entire population? Yes. The youth? not so much so. Future workers? Pushing it. ect...

Try:

They are a small portion of the citizens

Comment

If you don't give me the money my right to demonstrate is useless!
                Like I ever said anything close to that. I was only responding to Imran, who said that the government shouldn't cave in because people are asking for it, which is jsut silly.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• If the students are failed or kicked out of school, it is not a success of the government (in a fight against it's own citzenry), it is a failure of the government to adequetly perform it's role.
                  The government's role in question here is the professors, whose job is not just to teach students, but give them a stamp of approval as well as an attached quality rating.

To do the first would require students to attend. Whose fault is that? The second would be to fail all of them for have a lack of self control and disipline to their studies.

This is a very simple concept, you skip class and you fail
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Try:
                    Try responding to the argument instead of resorting to nonsensical semantics.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• double post.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Like I ever said anything close to that. I was only responding to Imran, who said that the government shouldn't cave in because people are asking for it, which is jsut silly.
                        It depends on how many are asking and what they are asking for.

I believe we are against giving in to ass clowns, ass hats, and all assorted asses, case in point selfish punk college students from Quebec.

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by Patroklos

The government's role in question here is the professors, whose job is not just to teach students, but give them a stamp of approval as well as an attached quality rating.

To do the first would require students to attend. Whose fault is that? The second would be to fail all of them for have a lack of self control and disipline to their studies.

This is a very simple concept, you skip class and you fail
                          Yes, it is a simple concept, and it is at the center of what the students are doing by striking. They're refusing the "government's role" because it is unsatisfactory.

That's what democracy is about - not kowtowing and groveling before the government, taking whatever scraps it gives you with eager praise knowing that you should be happy enough to avoid it's wrath, let alone recieve this great generoisty!

EDIT: actually, university professors aren't on a government payroll, are they?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• That's what democracy is about - not kowtowing and groveling before the government, taking whatever scraps it gives you with eager praise knowing that you should be happy enough to avoid it's wrath, let alone recieve this great generoisty!
                            Once again...

I know alot of you have a hardon for demonstrating and protesting and civil disobediance because you think it lets you stick it to the man, but do you ever stop and think about whether the demonstrators are right before you put your dixie up under the tap?
                            I don't know where you get this thing that demonstrating, no matter what for or why are who against is somehow good Democracy.

Democracy simple means you havet the ability to demonstrate if you want to, not that you should or even ever. And Democracy does not mean that the government is automatically wrong because you have a picket sign. Wait for it..

YOU MIGHT BE WRONG!!!

Do you honestly think demonstrations and protests mean a damn thing in most instances now adays. There is always a protest going on. Protests if you raise taxes, protests if you lower taxes, protests if you don't change taxes at all, and sometimes all three as once. Net results, protests are just white noise to most people, certaintly governments.

Then again this isn't protesting or demonstrating, this is a "strike."

Comment

• actually, university professors aren't on a government payroll, are they?
                              Whose paying them? Sure as hell isn't the students.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos

I don't know where you get this thing that demonstrating, no matter what for or why are who against is somehow good Democracy.
                                Speaking up for what you believe in and being active (that is, being an activist) on issues important to you isn't just 'good democracy', it is fundemental democracy.

And Democracy does not mean that the government is automatically wrong because you have a picket sign. Wait for it..

YOU MIGHT BE WRONG!!!
                                There isn't a universal wrong and right. If you think the government is wrong, it is wrong as far as you are concerned.

Do you honestly think demonstrations and protests mean a damn thing in most instances now adays.
                                They do to every single person it effects, and sometimes alot of people that it doesn't even effect.

There is always a protest going on. Protests if you raise taxes, protests if you lower taxes, protests if you don't change taxes at all, and sometimes all three as once.
                                Democracy at work - when everyone stays home nice and quiet and lets their elected dictators do whatever they please, then it ceases to be a democracy. People have to hold the government responsible, and that doesn't just mean voting for "the other guy" four years down the road.

Net results, protests are just white noise to most people, certaintly governments.
                                They are white noise to people uneffected by the issue, and unfortunetly the government often does get away with dismissing it as white noise aswell, due to the cultural mindset that exists today, but they shouldn't be able to.

Then again this isn't protesting or demonstrating, this is a "strike."
                                Which is a form of protest...

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X