Massive student strike in Quebec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    It's all a question of civilians using violence in the face of institutionalized violence.

Yes, threatening to fail students for not following the policies of the class is 'institutionalized violence' . Get real.
    It's certainly a mean of pressure aimed at breaking the popular legitimacy mandate created by the vote.

Fortunately, most professors aren't reactionary like you, they're listening to the students in good will anyway.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The government NEGOTIATES with them.

Me: WTF?

This is why Quebec has a reputation of being full of pansies .
      Governments negociating with demonstrators
      Democracy

Comment

Legitimacy? What legitiimacy? The ONLY vote that counts when you talk about how to spend tax dollars is the vote OF THE CITIZENS, not the vote of the people to whom the tax dollars are going. I vote myself a $1,000,000 stipend from the government

Comment

It's certainly a mean of pressure aimed at breaking the popular legitimacy mandate created by the vote.

Ah the legitimacy of a student vote . I'm sorry, but do they run the faculty? Do they hire and fire teachers? Nope. So there is no mandate over the professors by a bunch of snot-nosed punks.

And once again, you defend violence to accomplish your goals. Very mafia-like, or if that offends you, very terrorist.

I vote myself a $1,000,000 stipend from the government

And if they refuse, I'll destroy every Congressman's car! I'm justified because they failed to listen my legitimate vote!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Grants are free money that allow you to pay for school. The state is offering less of this free money. They say well, then we'll no longer go to school. Which is what I said.
            Students are still taking the money of the loan and grant program though. It would be so much fun if the government decided to withold the money during the strike, something that hasn't even been mentioned so far.

Comment

That would be good

Comment

Wussy government... grow some balls Quebec!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Why are conservatives always so short-sighted? Free schooling benefits everyone, as it helps the economy grow.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Legitimacy? What legitiimacy? The ONLY vote that counts when you talk about how to spend tax dollars is the vote OF THE CITIZENS, not the vote of the people to whom the tax dollars are going. I vote myself a $1,000,000 stipend from the government
                    Yeah, you're such a smartass. Students have a seat on the University's board. They also have contracts that make membership in the association mandatory to the pursuing of studies at the uni, and all of this is detailed in hundreds of pages-long protocols.

The relationship between the students and the university is similar to that of the workforce and the means of production. The only difference is that the university is a public non-profit organization whose aim is to use a "mean of production" to provide education to society.

Scabs are illegal in Quebec, and failing striking students is similar to hiring scabs: it's an illegitimate mean of pressure.

I'm glad to hear about your conception of democracy, which is for you nothing more than intermittent dictatorship mandates with no right at all to stage protests in the intervals between elections.

Comment

Grants are free money that allow you to pay for school. The state is offering less of this free money. They say well, then we'll no longer go to school. Which is what I said.
                      The government exists to serve the people. As I said previously in this thread, this sort of scenario is only good for a government that percieves it's citizens as an oponent or rival.

The government can't "win" when it's people lose.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Giving into student demonstrators so easily does NOT benefit everyone in the long run. They will notice the trend and exploit it.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Why are conservatives always so short-sighted? Free schooling benefits everyone, as it helps the economy grow.
                          You're missing the point. Whether or not free schooling is a good idea, the students STRIKING for more money is simply absurd.

Comment

Wussy government... grow some balls Quebec!
                            This is the most unpopular government of the past 30 or 40 years. Their popularity level went as low as the high 20s.

If they are to use more provocation against students and unions, they'll be facing a general public strike very soon and the province will be paralyzed.

Comment

Giving into student demonstrators so easily does NOT benefit everyone in the long run.
                              Government should work for the people. Making the government more responsive is a good thing.

Kuci, yes, I agree it is absurd. But it works for some reason.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                                Yeah, you're such a smartass. Students have a seat on the University's board. They also have contracts that make membership in the association mandatory to the pursuing of studies at the uni, and all of this is detailed in hundreds of pages-long protocols.
                                Then they can use that seat to try and change it. But I don't see how striking from going to school should get other people to give you more money.

The relationship between the students and the university is similar to that of the workforce and the means of production. The only difference is that the university is a public non-profit organization whose aim is to use a "mean of production" to provide education to society.

There's another difference: the students don't do any work for the university - an employee gives something back to the employer.

Scabs are illegal in Quebec, and failing striking students is similar to hiring scabs: it's an illegitimate mean of pressure.

Scabs are illegal? It's illegal to hire new workers when your previous employees quit? WTF?!

I'm glad to hear about your conception of democracy, which is for you nothing more than intermittent dictatorship mandates with no right at all to stage protests in the intervals between elections.
                                Again, I vote myself $1,000,000 dollars! Teh democracy!

Comment

Working...
                                X