Free Bobby Fischer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Bobby Fischer!

Japan holds Bobby Fischer, wanted by the US for daring to play chess in "the former Yugoslavia." Iceland may help. From the BBC:
    Iceland to give Fischer passport

Fischer's troubles began after his Yugoslav rematch with Spassky
    An Icelandic commission has agreed to give citizenship to fugitive chess champion, Bobby Fischer, which may lead to his release from detention in Japan.
    Mr Fischer is fighting extradition to the US where he is wanted for violating economic sanctions on account of a game he played in former Yugoslavia in 1992.

Bjarni Benediktsson of a parliamentary board reviewing the request said the citizenship would be given next week.

Chess fans in Iceland have lobbied to have Mr Fischer granted citizenship.

The chess star won a championship there in 1972, when he beat Boris Spassky of the then Soviet Union.

"They had been waiting on confirmation from Japan that Fischer would be let go if he had Icelandic citizenship," said one of Mr Fischer's supporters, Saemundur Palsson.

"This is great news."

MPs in Iceland voted last month against granting Fischer citizenship, offering him instead a special foreigners' passport and rights to residence.

Japan, however, had refused to release the chess champion, who had been on the run for 10 years.

Mr Fischer was taken into custody by the Japanese authorities in July for allegedly trying to leave Japan on an invalid US passport.

He faces a 10-year jail term in the US if found guilty of defying the economic sanctions.

Japanese opposition politicians, who claim the government is acting at the behest of the US, have protested against Mr Fischer's lengthy detention.

Before he was taken into custody, he had managed to live undetected in Japan for three years, sometimes travelling abroad.

While in detention, he become engaged to the head of the Japan Chess Association, Miyoko Watai, but the authorities are still studying their marriage application.

Can you believe that this guy's been on the run for TEN years? It's the first I've heard about it.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

You'd think all Canadians would know.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

death penalty
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's really quite funny/stupid, the guy's a Jew who thinks Jews are evil.
        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

This is kind of funny wasn't Fischer once an american Hero for sticking it to the ruskies?

However I don't see why he should be pardoned by the US. It would be favoritism.
          Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Why?

If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

He broke sanctions, if a common business man had broken sanctions, he wouldn't be pardoned.
              Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Bobby Fischer will be extradited to the United States as treaty with Japan requires. Thank you.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So, what did he do, exactly? Smugle cubans?
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

He'll have lots of time for chess in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
                      He broke sanctions, if a common business man had broken sanctions, he wouldn't be pardoned.

No, he'd be given an ambassador's posting.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

the guy is such a genius that he went nuts...

why waisting your precious time with him ?
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

He moved bits of ivory around in a nasty country. Send him to the chair!
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Especially if it pisses off the Eurocoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
                              The sanctions were unjust. It wasn´t anything like the sanctions against South Africa for instance. Punishing Bobby Fischer for this is therefore wrong and stupid.

Free Bobby Fischer!
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X