Teach me Norwegian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Winston
    If you want to win the eternal friendship of a Norwegian, you only need one simple phrase: Heia Norge!, shouted at the top of your lungs every time Norway or anything remotely connected is mentioned, especially if it's sports related.

And at all times, compliment the beauty of their flag.

Independence was 100 years ago, in 1905 btw. Good thing to remember come May 17...
    But May 17 isn´t celebrated because of the independence in 1905. It´s a celebration of the norwegian constitution signed in Eidsvoll in 1814.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I want pics of the beautiful Norwegian girl.

I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

K X, I know. And I also figured someone would point it out, but the fact is their National Day this time around will likely be even more 'over the top' than usual, exactly because of the Centennial.

But hey, apart from the incredible displays of Nationalism, Norwegians are really ok.

Comment

I remember a very pretty (though a bit skinny) blonde Norwegian girl. I wanted to have sex with her until she got really drunk and threw up on my pants.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Why go all the way to N. Europe to hit Scandinavian chicks when it is easer to find them in Minnesota?

Comment

Don't be so shy next time - go for the hit before she gets too drunk
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Get roaringly drunk and speak with a hot potato in your mouth.

Congratulations: You're speaking excellent Norwegian

No wait I think that's supposed to be Danish
                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Nah, we convert our potatoes to Aquae Vitae so it can't be us
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

fagfolk = professionals
                    faglitteratur = professional literature

Actually a clear bokmål-nynorsk dichotomy doesn't exist in the spoken language, they are just two different forms of written Norwegian. In the spoken language there are lots of dialects. And to make things more complicated, bokmål and nynorsk are divided into conservative bokmål (the form that most resembles Danish), radical bokmål, conservative nynorsk and radical nynorsk.

Comment

Vess du fan ikke kan oppfør dæ årntli så ska æ stapp høue ditt opp i ræva di, så kan du sett dær, aleina i mørtna, å prat mannskit me dæ sjøl.
                      That's nynorsk. What does "høue" mean?

Edit: Ah, head, of course.

Comment

Akkurat!
                        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Sheesh! I knew of some other important historical anniversaries this year, but this is the first time I realized this one!

Stavangersk Rules!

But can anyone tell me the status and current diversity of the far northern dialects, specifically around Lofoten?

Comment

Working...
                          X