Teach me Norwegian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach me Norwegian

Last night I met a goddess who decended from the heavens for a visit with us mere mortals on Earth. Her name is Karen (Pronounced Kah-ggghhhen - that's a gutteral sound). She is from Norway and of half-Norwegian, half Irish-American decent. She's the perfect Aryan girl: blonde, white, blue-eyed. She's a model and probably the prettiest girl I've ever laid eyes on. We talked and danced for an hour last night at a crowded party, and I got her number.

This is where you guys come in: Teach me Norwegian. Not like a full-load thing or anything, just some words and phrases that would impress/be helpful in conversation. She taught me a toast (something about not being above or below but equal) after I taught her one in Gaelic. Things like that would be cool, but anything that any of you know would be a great deal of help.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

. Her name is Karen (Pronounced Kah-ggghhhen

urgh.NSFW

Comment

It sounds like rolling the tongue but I can't do it, so it comes out kinda gross.

Her name could put a hold damper on our relationship
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

What version of norwegian is she speaking? norsk or ny-norsk? (norwegian or new-norwegian)

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Uh...no clue. How are they different?

Comment

To answer that, a crash course in norwegian history is needed. From the late middle ages, and until 1814, Norway was owned by Denmark. Then from 1814 until the early 20th century (i have forgotten the exact year) by Sweden. Only then did they become independent.

As a result of that, norwegian is a mix of swedish and danish (nigh on danish spelling - nigh on swedish pronounciation). Therefore ny-norsk was created, as a nationalistic move towards further independence. Ny-norsk is quite different from norwegian. Many words are the same, but then again a lot of words differ greatly in spelling and pronounciation.

Our norwegian posters can be more exact, of course, but as I understand it, the differences are quite large.

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Well thanks for that. It's certainly a good question that I can ask her.

C'mon, someone out there must know some Norwegian!

Comment

here is a phrase that will get you far:

Vess du fan ikke kan oppfør dæ årntli så ska æ stapp høue ditt opp i ræva di, så kan du sett dær, aleina i mørtna, å prat mannskit me dæ sjøl.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

meaning?

And pronunciation help would be great as well

Comment

That's actually quite funny, Sava. Where did you find that.

@ TEF: Don't even think of trying to say that to her, if you want to continue seeing her.

Asmodean

Comment

I figured as much, given the source

Comment

That's actually quite funny, Sava. Where did you find that.
                        I have my sources.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Free translation: If you can't f***in' behave, then I'll stick your BS so far up your ass, that you'll have to sit there, alone in the dark, and talk BS with yourself.

Asmodean

Comment

If you want to win the eternal friendship of a Norwegian, you only need one simple phrase: Heia Norge!, shouted at the top of your lungs every time Norway or anything remotely connected is mentioned, especially if it's sports related.

And at all times, compliment the beauty of their flag.

Independence was 100 years ago, in 1905 btw. Good thing to remember come May 17...

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other...orwegian.shtml has some norwegian phrases with audio.

Same with http://www.travelblog.org/World/norwegian-audio.html

And If you want to be more ambitious this site has loads of words and phrases and their pronunciation. http://www.sofn.com/norwegianculture/languagelessons/
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X