Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep your trash on that side of the pond, d'mmit

US hawk named to run World Bank

President George W Bush has nominated US Deputy Defence Secretary Paul Wolfowitz as the next head of the World Bank, a key development agency.

Mr Wolfowitz has earned a reputation as a hawk during his time as Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's deputy, and was a strong advocate of the Iraq war.

President Bush described Mr Wolfowitz as a "compassionate, decent man" committed to global development.

His choice of a hardliner to run the agency is likely to be controversial.

Controversial

Mr Bush said Mr Wolfowitz was "a man of good experience" and a skilled diplomat who had "helped manage a large organisation" during his time at the Pentagon.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
    1989-93: Under-secretary for defence policy
    1986-89: US ambassador to Indonesia
    1983-86: Assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific affairs
    1981-82: Head of state department policy planning staff
    2001 to date - Deputy Defence Secretary

Privately, current World Bank president James Wolfensohn had made it clear that he had wanted to continue but failed to get White House backing.

He was appointed by Democrat former President Bill Clinton, and will be leaving on 1 June after 10 years in charge.

The White House began notifying other nations of its choice earlier in the day.

Mr Wolfowitz is a deeply controversial figure in US politics, the BBC's Justin Webb reports from Washington.

He is associated with the so-called "neo-conservatives" - senior figures in and around the Bush administration who believe that America needs to be very active in pressing the case for its values around the world, our correspondent says.

HAVE YOUR SAY
    The "Wolf" has been shown the path to the henhouse. It's hard to imagine peaceful development under his leadership.

Kelly, Washington, US

His nomination has been welcomed by International Monetary Fund head Rodrigo de Rato and UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw. Both men praised Mr Wolfowitz's experience and said they were looking forward to working with him.

Mr Straw said the US president's choice was "very distinguished and experienced internationally".

It is the second time within weeks that Mr Bush has appointed a hardliner to a key international post.

Earlier in March he nominated Under-Secretary of State John Bolton to be US ambassador to the United Nations - a body Mr Bolton has repeatedly derided.

Seeking support

The World Bank numbers 184 states among its members, and is responsible for leading global efforts to promote economic development and reduce poverty.

For the appointment to go ahead, Mr Wolfowitz must be formally approved by the World Bank's executive board.

In a statement, the Bank said its directors were responsible for making the selection and were "in the process of consultations with the member countries they represent".

"An official announcement of the outcome of the deliberations and actions of the Executive Directors will be made as soon as a decision has been reached," the Bank said.

US appointments to the World Bank presidency are usually unchallenged, as are European nominations to lead the International Monetary Fund.

But there remains the possibility of a veto similar to that used by the US to stop Europe's choice for IMF chief, Caio Koch-Weser, from getting the job in 2000.

The list of candidates rumoured to be in the running to take over from him had included Carly Fiorina, the recently ousted boss of giant computer firm Hewlett-Packard.

On a recent visit to Brussels, the Bank's current president said his successor should be passionate about battling poverty and not merely an efficient manager. He declined to comment directly on Mr Wolfowitz's candidacy.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
    1989-93: Under-secretary for defence policy
    1986-89: US ambassador to Indonesia
    1983-86: Assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific affairs
    1981-82: Head of state department policy planning staff
    2001 to date - Deputy Defence Secretary

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

It was all fun laughing (and crying) with you guys in november but dammit!!!!
    Where's the outrage anyway!!
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Wolfowitz head of the world bank? Oh God, the 3rd world is going to turn into an even worse capitalist playground than it already is with this freakazoid at the helm.

Comment

This is a great pick!
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If Dans likes it, you freaking know it's time to start getting scared.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

This is a great pick!
          Not for the countries who get ass-raped by western companies. It's called Neo-colonialism for a reason.

Comment

I think it will be fun to see if this choice is vetoed by the Europeans.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Shouldn't someone with some economics experience head the WB?

I don't think Wolfy will be too bad, but he isn't an economist.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I love how Bono's name was being bantied about for this position (like it ever would have happened). Talk about going in the opposite direction!
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I thought I heard that this nitwit had already been ruled out of the job.

Comment

Shouldn't someone with some economics experience head the WB?
                    In a former life, Wolfowitz was an investment banker.

Comment

All that means is he knows how to make money, not help people.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Which will cause greater angst, Wolfie as head of WB or John Bolton for UN Ambassador?
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

More reason for everyone else to treat the US as a de facto enemy.

Suits me.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                            Which will cause greater angst, Wolfie as head of WB or John Bolton for UN Ambassador?
                            Michael Bolton for UN Ambassador.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                              Tag Team!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X