Italy to pull out of Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italy to pull out of Iraq

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Italy 'to pull troops from Iraq'

Italy is to begin withdrawing its troops from Iraq in September 2005, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has said.

He told Rai state television the pullout would take place "in agreement with our allies".

Italy has 3,000 troops in Iraq - the fourth largest foreign contingent.

Domestic opposition to Italy's involvement in Iraq intensified after the killing of an Italian agent by US troops in Baghdad earlier this month.

The surprise announcement came as Italy's lower house of parliament backed a recent Senate vote to extend the country's military presence in Iraq beyond June.

'Progressive reduction'

Mr Berlusconi has been one of US President George W Bush's staunchest allies in the US-led war in Iraq.

But, he said, after speaking to UK Prime Minister Tony Blair he concluded that public opinion in both countries favoured a troop withdrawal.

"In September we will begin a progressive reduction of the number of our soldiers in Iraq.

"I spoke to Tony Blair about it, and public opinion in our countries is expecting this decision," he told Rai.

He said the exact numbers would depend on the Iraqi government's ability to deal with security.

The BBC's Tamsin Smith in Rome says it is the first time Mr Berlusconi has suggested a timetable for withdrawal.

Relations between the United States and Italy were severely strained after secret service agent Nicola Calipari was shot dead by American troops in Baghdad on 4 March.

Mr Berlusconi said the US must accept responsibility for the shooting, which is being investigated by the US military.

Our correspondent says the Italian government is also mindful of local elections looming early next month.

Also on Tuesday, two other members of the US-led coalition in Iraq - the Netherlands and Ukraine - began a phased withdrawal from the country.
    Good news! This sherade has gone on for too long, and hopefully this will increase the pressure on the Americans making another little adventure less likely.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Though I must say in defense of the Americans I think the shooting on the 4th was just a pretense for a pullout, but still good news.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

"sherade"?
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Let's see what excuses they come up with now.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

weak contries that can't handle getting a few people shot up.

I was against the war, but now we are committed, it would be stupid to pull out now.

Comment

Somalia.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

IIUC Italy was already planning on pulling out in June. September represents an extension. Italy has done important and valuable work in Iraq. Now that Iraqi forces are taking over the Shiite areas where Italian forces had been stationed, its not unreasonable that they leave.

Grazia, Italia!
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

IIUC Italy was already planning on pulling out in June. September represents an extension. Italy has done important and valuable work in Iraq. Now that Iraqi forces are taking over the Shiite areas where Italian forces had been stationed, its not unreasonable that they leave.

Grazia, Italia!
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

See... I knew it wouldn't be long before a true believer popped up.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Eh. If this happened a few months ago I'd be joining Whaleboy and others in pointing out how shabby this "coalition" is. And how little anyone else really supports this war. But considering the election has happened, and Iraq is moving toward self-sufficiency and real independence, it will hopefully soon be time for all foreign troops to pull out.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

it will hopefully soon be time for all foreign troops to pull out.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                        but now we are committed, it would be stupid to pull out now.
                        Wasn´t that also what you said on your last date?
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Somalia.
                          Clinton was weak. And to be fair, Reagan was weak as well.

Comment

The more nations pull out, the easier it becomes to pressure Congress to abandon this lost cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Somalia.

beat me to it

Comment

Working...
                              X