• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

And what nation did they lead?
    HINT: Its not CANADA
    HINT2: Its not Mexico
    HINT3: Its one of the three largest nations in North America....
    California?
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

And what nation did they lead?
      The US.

Somalia and Lebanon gave the appearance of US weakness. Whether or not we actually were weak is a matter for speculation, but I think it's likely that we were. At least morally weak.

In any event, hopefully the foreign forces (including the US forces) can be drawn down over time. I don't think this Italian drawdown is any big deal. It means the coalition is achieving its goals.
      Last edited by DanS; March 15, 2005, 20:17.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by realpolitic
        The more nations pull out, the easier it becomes to pressure Congress to abandon this lost cause.
        I was against this war, but we are there now and we have to clean up our mess, I don't wan't Iraq turning into a theocracy.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
          Eh. If this happened a few months ago I'd be joining Whaleboy and others in pointing out how shabby this "coalition" is. And how little anyone else really supports this war. But considering the election has happened, and Iraq is moving toward self-sufficiency and real independence, it will hopefully soon be time for all foreign troops to pull out.
          To a point I agree, but then I have little faith in Iraq's ability to be self-sufficient, and I question the long-term benefits to be derived from the elections, or democratic pretensions regardless. Good luck to them, but I'm not holding my breath.
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I was against this war, but we are there now and we have to clean up our mess, I don't wan't Iraq turning into a theocracy.
            True, but then I see that as primarily the US's responsibility... in the same way that you should be expected to clean up the mess you make at a picnic. I do not think that this should extend to making the state in your own image, unless you want something like a colonial presence. In that sense, I would rather the Iraqi's were in charge of the Americans with regards to reconstruction and political reconciliation etc, a slot-in workforce and security service if you like... as well as performing arbitration duties. Furthermore, I would like to see the UN, and particularly the British take a bigger role in charge because of this country's history of nation building and non-aggressive diplomacy.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

The Shi'a areas are relatively safe and the Iraqis have been trained well enough in those areas. It's the Sunni areas that are the problem. The Italian military did its job by providing security and training up the Iraqis so they can now go home knowing they did a good job.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

But the British (for example) are also doing a good job, one would not say that though if they packed up and left no? It's still 3000 less troops on the ground, is this a good time to be reducing it?

EDIT: this time = this year

Comment

This was planned for quite some time. It doesn't come to any surprise to me. But Whaleboy.. you disgust me. You totally disgust me. You realize that pulling out of Iraq is not a good idea at this point in time? This won't happen for a while, and does in fact represent an extension from the previous set date for an italian pull out. And the country would only begin to pull out some of its forces, not the entire thing.

I find it disgusting you even call this an adventure. Man what the hell are you on? Why the hell do you want Iraq to go down the tubes anyways? So you can prove something?

However yes, Iraq will have its own security forces able to take over from the Italians. And where are the italians anyways? Not in an area where they would take fire.. they are in one of the totally secured provinces. So their role is as insigificant as that of the Spanish troops that were in Iraq some time ago.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

This we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

I want Iraq to collapse because death and destruction turns me on
                      Well unfortunately for you.. you won't ever get that boner because Iraq isn't going to collapse.
                      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Well unfortunately for you.. you won't ever get that boner because Iraq isn't going to collapse.
                        \

10-15 years from now Iraq will be a theocracy, like it or lump it.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                          \

There is one huge reason why this is wrong... the Iraqi Shi'as are mainly moderates..

Comment

But Whaleboy.. you disgust me. You totally disgust me.
                            You disgust me too Fez, and god I love it! I want you to make me positively SICK!!

I find it disgusting you even call this an adventure. Man what the hell are you on? Why the hell do you want Iraq to go down the tubes anyways? So you can prove something?
                            Nah I don't want it to, I hope things go well, but I find it interesting that the coalition is dropping out like flies which proves that the whole thing is just one terrible mistake. I'm not saying it's a good thing that they're pulling out, except for their troops, their public finances and their populus. The rules of the game are different for the US, being the leader and the country with most people on the ground.

But of course it's an adventure, kinda like Alice in Wonderland with Neo-cons as the tin man, Haliburton as the lion with no heart and Bush as a lost, prepubescent girl with magic shoes...

I don't know about a theocracy, but it won't be pretty. Worst case scenario is that it may end up like Somalia, I doubt it and I sincerely hope not. What does end up happening in the long term probably depends on the Israel/Palestine situation more than anything, as well as global oil prices. If Iraq's economy can diversify away from oil as much as possible then it's in a better position but to be honest I can't see that happening as long as the US has its foot in the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

You disgust me too Fez, and god I love it! Disgust me Gian, make me positively SICK!!
                              What a moron...

Nah I don't want it to, I hope things go well, but I find it interesting that the coalition is dropping out like flies which proves that the whole thing is just one terrible mistake. I'm not saying it's a good thing that they're pulling out, except for their troops, their public finances and their populus. The rules of the game are different for the US, being the leader and the country with most people on the ground.
                              dropping out like flies? WAKE THE **** UP! These pull outs were scheduled because Iraq has to start taking responsibility for itself. Proves that the whole thing is just one terrilbe mistake? To hell with that rhetoric. It wasn't a terrible mistake... I'm sick of this rhetoric. It isn't time to waste arguing about whether it is right or not. There are people on Iraq depending on a secure future. And if you want to screw them over.. well.. you won't get your way.

Some countries cannot afford staying too long in Iraq, but the US can until everything is stabilized.

I don't know about a theocracy, but it won't be pretty. Worst case scenario is that it may end up like Somalia, I doubt it and I sincerely hope not. What does end up happening in the long term probably depends on the Israel/Palestine situation more than anything, as well as global oil prices. If Iraq's economy can diversify away from oil as much as possible, then it's in a better position but to be honest, I can't see that happening as long as the US has its foot in the door.
                              It will turn pretty good, and it will probably look pretty good once they get their industries back online. Iraq needs to get its oil economy pumping, and put the money towards developing a manufacturing sector of some sort, maybe. I see this will turn out pretty good and Iraq will be on the road for democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

People have said the same thing about all the Arab states at one time or another. So far the voting record is the people want less theocracy and more western style democracy.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X