Study Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study Talk

Let's talk about stu-udies, let's talk about stu-udies, let's talk about all to good things and the..

OK

So, general study talk. I'll open up with some thoughts and you can talk about them or open your own thoughts to us.

I'm extremely embarrased, that I really like this one lecturer a lot, I mean he is a good lecturer and knows a lot (well not really surprise). The thing is, the area he is covering is quite challenging at times, but he is very good at it, so he brings simplistic, yet good view to it, making it easier to learn than with most lecturers. He is extremely thorough(?), and goes in great details and lengths with examples. Some hate this type of lecturing, but I like it when the subject is challenging, thus less work for me when I get home and I can get right on it.

So what am I embarrased about? BECAUSE he IS such a great lecturer, he makes it simple to understand, and I somehow manage to suck on his courses. I don't know why. Based on the information I have, I should do A LOT better. I totally underachieve on his exams. And his exams are not sadistic either. They are very proper and decent, focusing on main points. If you know the region, you score well. Somehow, I manage to score low. I pass, no problem, but .. **** I don' tknow. I'll try harder.. so, you have to book yourself to the exams beforehand, and somehow I always do that late with him. It's not cool, it's not OK, but he's been very tolerant with my ass, I don't know why. He lets me take the test even though according to rules he doesn't have to, well most lets you come if you negotiate, but why does it always happen with him? He must think I'm a lazy SOB and a stupid bastard, always late, always underachieving. Problem is I lkie his classes and all that.. and I'm not a lazy bastard or stupid, everything else is always fine, and I know it's me, not him.. the problem I mean. It's embarrasing.

Right.. then another thing.. I'm thinking maybe going for PhD.. not sure yet if I should or shouldn't. On the other hand, I don't want to study long anymore. Reason being I want to make money, get salary to support myself better. I'm struggling economically every day, most students do, but going for PhD would extend my studies with few years more. Then agian, I like studying. Then again, what the **** do I do with a PhD in the job markets. 'Hey look, a theory guy'. FU! I kick your ass man and I don't care if you were great at punching drunks at your bar, I'm hardcore mofo! ULTRA VIOLENCE with SKILLS!!

So I'm wondering.. to do it or not.. On the other hand I'd like to, for the sake of doing it, but I'm not sure if that would help me any way in my career.

oh and another thing. Sometimes I think I don't want to do a single day this thing in my career. Then again, the other half I'm on fire, getting aroused just thinking all the things I could do on this path.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

You're just allowing your new-found infatuation for your instructor to interfere with your work.

Comment

Man you wish... you like to fantasize about that, don't you?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

maybe the simplistic ways he using to lecture are the problem.. I had a proffesor did this as well. she made you understand what she was talking about however her test went back to the stuff she talked about umsimpilistict. For you studies no reason to not start working now and wait a year or so and then go back for a PhD.
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Maybe you should invite him for a naked sauna and some "manly" wrestling.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
            Maybe you should invite him for a naked sauna and some "manly" wrestling.
            This not a sight I wanted or needed this am.
            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

Mrs Tuberski, well I'm still about 2 years from my degree. I could after that start doing the PhD studies but I'm not sure. But it's one of those things, you either go 100% full on or you better not do it and waste your time. Yeah I kind of know what you mean. When it goes ... well the ... stuff he usually lectures about is .. rather complex and requires a lot of attention and studying. At least for me and most. I see pretty much everyone is struggling and working to make this one alive. However, the problem is, because the length of .. explanation, he pretty much goes down to making it trivial, that's good, but then he keeps on .. circling around the trivial. I myself have first the a-ha! experience, the 'I get it! wow!' and then quite fast 'ok go on. We got it. Please, next topic'. But after that, when you fail to score well, it's really embarrasing. Didn't I get it? Well sure. And then I got bored and started to check out the clock every 5 seconds.

But I really don't blame him. It's up to me, and I'm failing me. I mean not really, studies are going well in general, just HIS courses I tend to underachieve. I mean underachieving because with that level of explanation, everyone should score 100% every time.
              In da butt.

Comment

From what you talk about, this sounds like my ethics and logic class I took for my degree. That was my prof. I was talking about. And your right and one point it is like ah yeah i get it now then comes to the test and her words arent that simple anymore. Truth be known yeah I got it when you broke it down for me but I didnt get it the way it was meant to be. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean. Umm, however this isn't the case with me, his courses and him. I pretty much know all the answers, except 'oh man why didn't I just concentrate better, this was something so easy but I just can't remember it now. Damn! This is what he was doing while I was bored, because I thought it was so trivial I didn't bother to look the OTHER example of the thing I thought was the same.'
                  In da butt.

Comment

Well then it sounds as your just distracted with something more important at this moment. Explains the lack of concentration or could be the fact of the matter is that the topic doesnt intrest you in the least. Hence the boredom.

Comment

Yes the problem is me definitely. It is very interesting in fact. I'm not the only one. I mean, most of my friends in my classes who are going for the same degree, they are just like me in that regard. It's like we all have ADD. Attention span is good, but if it gets a bit too trivial, it's sleepy time. We grow anxious, like little children. We also all consume large amounts of coke, and smoke cigarettes, too much. We all have WEIRD sleeping habits, and we tend to do tasks very fast, correctly, however we also tend to leave it to the last minute .

So yes, when the subject seems to be not going forward, we all just daze into something else in our little minds. This is normal andI think most people are just like that though.
                      In da butt.

Comment

I do believe you are correct. Adult attention defecit disorder does exist. My son has ADHD and see the same traits in him with his studies.

Comment

Damn, I think I have that too.

Comment

Siro adults can have this disorder it usually has not neen diagonsed in child hood. My son takes meds for it and there are meds for adults if you want to take them.
                            Believe it or not its the first legal dose of speed you can get. :

Comment

yay

oh wait...

Comment

Working...
                              X