Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 year old shoots younger brother- intentionally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What are you talking about? People kill people, guns don't
    guns do kill people. We just read about it in this thread.

the little kid obviously didn't do it. He just wanted to stop his little brother from throwing toys, he didn't want to actually kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
      Its very clear that populations which have less access to guns have less gun deaths. We tightened our gun laws after the Port Arthur massacre and we haven't had a mass killing since. That was like 10 years ago.
      Wrong . There are countries with gun penetration much higher than the USA , yet they have almost no violent gun crime .

Comment

Finland comes to mind. However all of these countries will likely be ethnically homogenous and have next to no immigration and where people with in the country rarely move. Why does this matter? Because it means a common culture respecting guns can be created and most people live near their families and/or people they've known all their lives.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Finland comes to mind. However all of these countries will likely be ethnically homogenous and have next to no immigration and where people with in the country rarely move. Why does this matter? Because it means a common culture respecting guns can be created and most people live near their families and/or people they've known all their lives.
          Don't Switzerland and Finland have compulsory service in the militia? Aren't a large portion of the guns in private homes actually government owned military weapons? Maybe the militias of those countries make an extra effort to convince their members not to take government property for personal use. The knowledge that the weapon is traceable might also be a deterrent.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

How many american households actually own a weapon for personal protection or some other reason (not hunting)? Is there any numbers? AFAIK USA is the nation in the western world with the highest number of privately owned weapons. Those european countries were there is some sort of Home Guard/National Guard it´s the military that owns the weapons and the guardsmen are just borrowing them. Also in Sweden you can choose if you want to have a weapon in your house or not.

But I also think the big difference between Europe and the US is in peoples attitude towards weapons and how the society works. I think people feel safer in Europe and therefore have no need to buy guns for personal protection. And since there are fewer guns in circulation gun related crimes are fairly uncommon. Gun related accidents are even more uncommon not to say almost non-existent.
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The mother should be charged exactly like any mother who leaves dangerous household products at children's reach. This accident is little different than when a kid dies of poisoning because he drank the cleaning product. A gun is yet another dangerous item in a household that is already chock-full of them. It's the parent's duty to protect their children from these dangers, and the mother utterly failed. She should be charged for her negligence, but I don't think she deserves special treatment in comparison to other negligent parents.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

There are alot of things that need to looked at before you fry the woman. Like whos gun was it, who showed the kids were it is kept. Is there a father involved here? The ngeilence of any parent always needs to be looked at. Is this her first time of not paying attention to her kids. I personnally dont own a gun. I didnt even buy toy guns for my kids. Neither did my mother. Now that they are older I have let them use the super soakers.
                When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Wealth redistribution is the most hideous types of ideas I have ever heard.
                  [TROLL]
                  OMG! OMG! OMG! TAX IS THEFT! TAX IS THEFT!
                  [/TROLL]

Comment

Crime doesnt just happen to the poor you know. The rich commit just as many crimes. They usually just dont get their hands dirty.
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo

AND YET ANOTHER BS STATEMENT. You must be following Michael Moore. Though more crimes are committed in the US this is because one thing: There are more people in this country. And secondly, the US is jailing people mainly for crimes unrelated to guns.

In Japan violent crime with knives is a huge problem. Again gun control doesn't solve ****.

You are full of cop outs. Also Canadians have a surprising amount of guns. Again gun control doesn't solve ****.
                      You are such a moron. Here is a comparison of guns per head of population between the USA and Canada and the differencesin gun related crime.

The USA has 76 million handguns, Canada 1 million. The differences in death rates and crime rates from guns are staggering.

Last edited by Alexander's Horse; March 15, 2005, 16:32.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• [SIZE=1] Originally posted by Alexander's
                        The USA has 76 million handguns, Canada 1 million. The differences in death rates and crime rates are staggering.

http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/Cda-US.htm
                        With all the similarities between the two countries, the differences in this regard are stunning.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm

Wrong . There are countries with gun penetration much higher than the USA , yet they have almost no violent gun crime .
                          No you are wrong. The US has the highest number of guns per head not just in Western countries but in the world

That paragon of modern democracy Yemen is coming second

From a recent global report

America is now estimated to have between 238 million and 276 million firearms, compared with some 250 million legally owned guns, or 84 for every 100 people recorded in a July 2001 survey.

"By any measure the United States is the most armed country in the world," it said. "With roughly 83 to 96 guns per 100 people, the United States is approaching a statistical level of one gun per person."
                          Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our Mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.

You are closing in on one gun per person?????
                          Last edited by Alexander's Horse; March 15, 2005, 16:31.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin

[TROLL]
                            OMG! OMG! OMG! TAX IS THEFT! TAX IS THEFT!
                            [/TROLL]

most of you Apolytoners make more than I do. I suppose none of you would mind if I came to your house and took a few things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil

With all the similarities between the two countries, the differences in this regard are stunning.
                              Canadians are not violent like americans. In essence, they are pansies and wusses.

present company excluded of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident

most of you Apolytoners make more than I do. I suppose none of you would mind if I came to your house and took a few things.
                                You dont have to come and take them Just ask if I dont need or use you can have it. And not right as of tomorrow as far as making money My contract at work was canceled today so im unemployed as of this moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X