Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 year old shoots younger brother- intentionally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Yes I love the story of the couple in Texas mistakenly identified as fugitives by a group of bounty hunters. After the bounty hunters invaded their hoime and tied up the kids the couple barricaded themselves in their bedroom, thinking they could defend themselves with the husbands 9mm. The bounty hunters unfortunately were armed with assault rifles and blew the couple away by firing through the walls of the bedroom.
    Most people have no idea of the penetration power of military style weapons.

US studies of soldiers during WWII and Korea found that surprisingly few soldiers fired aimed shots at the enemy even when a clear target presented itself. This held even for elite units. Figures for deadly fire were as low as 30%. Soldiers admitted in interviews that the reason was they didn't want to know they personally killed anyone. So they would just blast away without aiming in the general direction of the threat. Its kind of nice to know that people's basic decency prevailed even in war and they didn't want to kill each other.

If soldiers find it hard to shoot to kill, what chance does an untrained civilian have of defending themselves with a firearm?

I know myself, although I've fired lots of weapons at targets I can't really say if I could use a gun against another human.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Most people have no idea of the penetration power of military style weapons.

If soldiers find it hard to shoot to kill, what chance does an untrained civilian have of defending themselves with a firearm?

I know myself, although I've fired lots of weapons at targets I can't really say if I could use a gun against another human.
      I dont wan to know nor could I do it.
      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• I probably could do it. But only in a few circumstances... like self-defense, revenge (if someone raped my sister or something), and maybe war. Actually, I bet I would do real well in war.

IMO, I think people could be divided into 3 categories.

1. Killers - people who could kill without even thinking about it... these aren't necessarily evil people, I bet a lot of soldiers are like this. But these people simply have the capacity to pull the trigger without a second thought. They are generally calm and controlled in such situations, despite the adrenaline. ALso, these people are generally not impulsive, but rather, patient and collected. These are your serial-killers, SWAT, special forces, etc... The difference between many "killers" is that some have morals, others don't.

2. Doves - people who couldn't kill, even in their own self-defense

3. fence sitters - these people generally couldn't kill... for instance, people that maybe have a 50-50 chance in a self-defense situation. Or if they had easy access to a gun and something traumatic happened, they would be so filled with rage, they would be unable to stop themselves.

I've never been in a life-threatening situation. I really don't know how I'd react. I suspect I'm probably a "killer". But I could never take innocent life.

I'd say the vast majority of people are fence-sitters. And a small amount are doves and killers. I bet there are as many killers as doves, however.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
          I probably could do it. But only in a few circumstances... like self-defense, revenge (if someone raped my sister or something), and maybe war. Actually, I bet I would do real well in war.

IMO, I think people could be divided into 3 categories.

1. Killers - people who could kill without even thinking about it... these aren't necessarily evil people, I bet a lot of soldiers are like this. But these people simply have the capacity to pull the trigger without a second thought. They are generally calm and controlled in such situations, despite the adrenaline. ALso, these people are generally not impulsive, but rather, patient and collected. These are your serial-killers, SWAT, special forces, etc... The difference between many "killers" is that some have morals, others don't.

2. Doves - people who couldn't kill, even in their own self-defense

3. fence sitters - these people generally couldn't kill... for instance, people that maybe have a 50-50 chance in a self-defense situation. Or if they had easy access to a gun and something traumatic happened, they would be so filled with rage, they would be unable to stop themselves.

I've never been in a life-threatening situation. I really don't know how I'd react. I suspect I'm probably a "killer". But I could never take innocent life.

I'd say the vast majority of people are fence-sitters. And a small amount are doves and killers. I bet there are as many killers as doves, however.
          Icould kill if that was the last resort. I.e tubes or my kids were being attacked. As for me I can defend my self in a fist fight. An attack is bout the same. Nose, nuts, eyes knees and throat.
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

• yeah it's more like a greyscale, with killers in the black, doves in the white, and everybody else in grey
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Armies spend a lot of time these days trying to figure out ways to get soldiers to shoot to kill.

You can see it on the TV news, most of em just blat away without even taking aim.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                Armies spend a lot of time these days trying to figure out ways to get soldiers to shoot to kill.

You can see it on the TV news, most of em just blat away without even taking aim.
                Hell armies have guns that have enough bullets they dont need to aim.

Comment

Working...
                X