Get out your hankeys: Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) "clinically depressed" over ANWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    It's also true in many of the Eastern mining states, where coal companies own what's underground, and regular families own what's on top.
    Yup. I own a house in coal country (Allegheny County, PA). I don't own the mineral rights.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      I've been lurking at the DU and I've come across yet another moronic statement. A lot of DU'ers are saying things like:

"OMG we should drill for oil at GOP member's houses"

Are you sure it was DU that you where reading?

Originally posted by Chegitz
      We should allow exploratory drilling for oil in the homes of GOP voters.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

I didn't even see that!
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hmmm... That testimony has a lot wrapped up into it. On the question of running the slightly salty water down the well, the testimony indicates that the company on their property has a reinjection well and is using it. Indeed, the testimony complains of more than one company using it -- which is, of course, much more preferable than running the slightly salty water down the creek. But perhaps bringing water from another lease and reinjecting it on their lease technically violates the lease terms.

(The testimony indicates that they don't understand that a lease normally requires the surface landowner to accomodate roadbuilding and whatnot and the company doesn't have to negotiate yet another agreement with the surace landowner to build a road.)

The testimony regarding the company running the salty water down the creek indicates that the company may not have a reinjection well. But now that the water is to be considered a toxic substance by Wyoming, they could get their asses thrown in jail for doing that. I'm slightly surprised that it wasn't considered a toxic substance already, but as far as I can tell from the testimony, the wastewater in Wyoming isn't that salty.

My dad has several oil/gas wells that he uses for reinjection of brine (not this slightly salty water mentioned in the article). In Ohio, the driller is now required to have one reinjection well per lease, IIRC. He didn't like having to spend the money to test the wells for suitability for reinjection, but now that he's doing it, it works just fine.
          Last edited by DanS; March 18, 2005, 00:00.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I own a house in coal country (Allegheny County, PA). I don't own the mineral rights.
            Is that because sometime in the past, a previous landowner split the rights?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
              No, I read that one too. It was funny, but some of the stuff posted in this OT is funnier...
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
              X