No announcement yet.

Can someone explain this to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree that HIV is more prevelent in the gay community. I would say it has only marginally to do with sex parties.
    Well then you are not familiar with the gay sex scene. According to Newsweek, most gays engage in this lewd behavior all the time. So, what do you think contributes to the HIV spread more than anything, then? Divine retribution?
    1+1>1

Comment

Foot fault!

Africa

pwn3d
      I don't really understand the comparison between Africans and homosexuals...

Wait... are you saying that there are no homosexuals in Africa?

Or are you claiming that there is no drug abuse and reckless orgies there?

According to Newsweek, most gays engage in this lewd behavior all the time. So, what do you think contributes to the HIV spread more than anything, then? Divine retribution?
      Then Newsweek is wrong. Are you sure that's a direct quote or did you pull it from your ass? Because I thought Newsweek was fairly credible source until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

Well then you are not familiar with the gay sex scene...
        Obviously you are. Care to step out of the closet?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I enjoy using newsweek to mop up my HIV infected vomit after I OD on crystal meth rubbed into my gums by my leather masked Master.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

Well then you are not familiar with the gay sex scene.
            Self pwnage

According to Newsweek
            Are you sure it was Newsweek? Are you sure it wasn't NOTHING?
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Why is HIV so common in gay circles then??!?

Comment

Because circles are fat ho's that sleep with anyone to get attention. Gay triangles now, those fine specimens of homosexual geometry, they're as pure as the winter's snow.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Wait, are you gay? I think you are from memory but I might have you mixed up with someone else. Anyway, I have you where I want you, namely that it's either a) gods fault or b) homosexual's fault, and you cannot decide.

10 - 0

Comment

Well, there are some historical reasons.

Wiglaf,

In the US, HIV started spreading first among male homosexuals (first cases in the 1960s, growing identified epidemic in the early 1980s). Up until mid-1980s, it was regarded as "surefire common knowledge" that this new killer disease could only be had if you were a homosexualist, it was thought as a sort of punishment from god.

Now, since gays mostly only had sex with each other, a very significant portion of them were infected while normal folks had almost no problems at all. It wasn't until early 1990s when the HIV had truly spread among the mainstream straight population, and then the US goverment dealt with it, quickly starting a federally funded program to combat HIV (sex ed, promoting condom use, ad blitzes etc). Because of this action, HIV didn't really caught on within straights while large portion of gays were still infected.

Edit: "dealt decisively", too much irony there.
                    Last edited by RGBVideo; March 13, 2005, 21:19.

Comment

• Well yes. It spread because of their risky tactics. And no, the numbers are not evened out.

Comment

• That could be also true, I don't know. Since gays can't marry in there, I'd imagine they also have more sexual partners than straight people. I'm under the perception that condom use was ridiculously low amoung both before HIV education blitz in the very early 1990s and after the hippie invasion in the 1960s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf
                          Wait, are you gay? I think you are from memory but I might have you mixed up with someone else. Anyway, I have you where I want you, namely that it's either a) gods fault or b) homosexual's fault, and you cannot decide.

10 - 0
                          You have me where you want me? You haven't even bought me a drink yet.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

• Also - reference Dr. Stranglove's post. Prior to AIDS, sex between uncommitted heterosexuals, i.e. hooking up often includes a condom due to the lady's insistence. Gays did not need to worry about pregnancy, and all other known STD's were curable via antibiotics. Thus, no or minimal condom use.

As a result, during the initial stages of the spread of HIV in the population, the gay community had no natural barriers to it's spread while the straight community had an partially effective natural barrier, i.e. women not wanting to get pregnant from random sex/not being on birth control until in a committed relationship. If you look at Africa where women in the heterosexual community did not have that option - will wonders never cease, it spread like wildfire.
                            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• /me demands Wiglaf say something about loving the starchild

Comment

• By the 1990s the syndrome had become a global epidemic and in 2004, 58 percent of those with AIDS were women. While gay men and those of African descent continue to suffer higher per capita AIDS rates, the majority of victims are currently heterosexual women and men, and children, in developing countries.

this image demands viewing.

Comment

Working...
                                X