Need a new theory for a storyline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sn00py
    yeah these theories are great, deep and meaningful.

come on, I want something eye-opening

see how hard it is to come up with a new theory
    Give no reason at all.

Comment

Ok, the thing is, I don't really want to categorise it yet, I need to keep it open as possible in order to create an eye-opening story.
      be free

Comment

I agree with Snowfire's summary. There are (broadly) two options. It's hard enough making a reason for anything *disappear*, let alone all of some ill-defined set of things except one.
        If you need the event as a plot setting rather than a plot feature, then either leave it ambiguous, or give no clues at all. It worked for Kafka.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The warranty on the human race has expired, and that guy is the only one who got the extension.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's what happens when you buy machines made by capitalists.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
              Deep Thought blue-screens and wipes out the Homo sapiens subroutine. The guy survives because he has transcended and is the incarnate version of The Answer.
              That brings new meaning to the phrase "Blue Screen of Death."

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                Ok, the thing is, I don't really want to categorise it yet, I need to keep it open as possible in order to create an eye-opening story.
                I think I'm going to be agreeing with Immortal Wombat & Kuciwalker- no explanation, then. If your story is going to be about what happens when there's one person alone in the world and will be good on its own, you don't need an explanation. It's just a bizarre happening. While it's happening, your protagonist can panic and think up all sorts of possible explanations- he died and is in hell, aliens, he's gone totally mad, etc. What actually happened? Who knows? The protagonist sure doesn't, and isn't in a position to investigate. Set it from his or her view.

How everybody comes back might be problematic, though. Obviously if they were "teleported" somewhere else, they'll have all sorts of interesting memories that will require explanation, but if they come back in the exact same spot as if no time had passed at all, just with their clothes on the ground and the season having advanced, you can have fun with the societal panic as people attempt to explain the event.
                All syllogisms have three parts.
                Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Ok, well I guess I could use the no explaination idea.

I just thought of one though, no one really knows what God's "plan" is, maybe I can define it?
                  be free

Comment

Working...
                  X