No announcement yet.

Need a new theory for a storyline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being so boring that even a supreme being would forget you is certainly interesting enough to make the supreme being in question not forget you .
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

He was put into the holodeck.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

yeah these theories are great, deep and meaningful.

come on, I want something eye-opening

see how hard it is to come up with a new theory
        be free

Comment

Could also be a bit like The Truman Show. He just moved to a new city (on some island). One day as he's inside his house, looking out the window (which actually is some very advanced screen) he sees as they dissapear. This reality show is to see how long this guy will survive before he goes insane (or how he'll tackle it)
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py

Tell us what kind of story it is, then the chance for something useable to be written here is higher! Is it sci-fi, comedy, thriller, horror, whatever?

Comment

A bit like The Quiet Earth. Of course, those people didn't come back at the end.....
                If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

NO NO NO NO!!!NO MORE PSYCHO MENTAL PROBLEM EXPLANATIONS! I ****ing HATE it. I mean the minute, in the movie machinist (SPOILER WARNINGINGINGINI!!!) the dude appears in the car smoking the first time.. I KNEW the whole ending and it was so early in the movie too. Because... this is THE popular thing now. Seems like every movie after fight club does this. It's freaking unoriginal stop doing it. It ruins my movie experience every time after fight club because it's the easy street for the end and unexplainable things. NO THANKS.

The real theory to your story would be, that there was this guy called... well let's call him Dekka, who had this weapon system business called.. HKS (hurt kill slaughter), and he came up with a totally new weapon say called the MongoBlaster, that had this effect. The only way to protect against this weapon was to something something, which Dekka did. And thus he was the only one left. How the people came back, that's because they never died. They just locked up to little molecules on the ground, invisible, until the magnetic lock in the air would give up, which was coded into the MongoBlaster say 7 days for example.. and then the lock would go away, and the molecules would reassemble, and some dudes would now have boobs, some dogs would have 'I LOVE COCA COLA' shirts as their skin etc.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Sn00py: See my post, what do you want to do with this story? That will affect the theory.
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Nanorobotic weapon which, for some reason, he is not affected by?
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Oh, they come back eh? Hmmm...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Or how about this:

The guy dies (got shot or whatever) and becomes a ghost. Ghosts (in this story) can't see other humans at the beginning of their 'ghost life'. To see life on the 'other side' you have to learn it which takes some time. Because your mind naturally continiues what you last saw while updating it with what he now can't see, cars and such just crash, because in his mind there's no drivers anymore, and there's no humans to keep clothes hanging in the air so naturally it falls
                          It also takes some time before he can 'see' ghosts... It takes some time to get used to the 'ghost life'

Comment

/me rereads the above story

Ok, that doesn't make much sense at all

I hope someone gets it without getting too confused, since I don't know how to explain it in some other way...

Comment

Write the story for IRCers :

The world is really a computer simulation, however, it's not "centralised" - there's a network of computers, one for each human mind (either they actually simulate that mind, or create a believable environment for it). The computer this guy's on simply gets disconnected from the rest of the network for a time. Eventually, as the connection is restored, the rest of the people come back... the big problems with this theory are that 1) the rest of the world will keep on running without this guy and 2) one would assume such a simulation of the world to have a different way to handle network failures than just letting every other human body in the simulation disappear...

Seriously, though, writing anything eye-opening for this *is* very difficult. I'm not going to call it impossible, though, because that's the surest way to get some moron to come up with an original, well thought-out, plausible reason and present it well, thus putting all the rest of us to shame...
                              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py

I mean, what do you want? The way things are set up, an event of that magnitude pretty much requires one of two things.
                                A) Some kind of massive intervention from a higher being- Gods, aliens, whatever.
                                -or-
                                B) It was a change in perception of the main character.

It's pretty hard to escape one of those two general plotlines, as the posted attempts have generally fallen into. I mean, how else can you explain such a bizarre event?
                                All syllogisms have three parts.
                                Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Working...
                                X