Recommend Boshko Music!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Boshko Music!

I would appreciate some recommendations of good bands or good music blogs. I really haven't gotten any new music since I moved to Korea, so anything that's been put out within the last few years would be great. I think its time I got back to expanding my music collections. What I'm looking for:

-Music that's been produced since 2003, don't have any really.
    -Specifically music that isn't quite as grating as a lot of what I used to listen to in college ( pure screaming ) since the kind of music you want to listen to when you want to unwind after forcing kids to listen to your big mouth all day is different than the kind of music you want after being forced to listen to other people talk at you all day.
    -Something relatively mellow and lowkey in a vaguely-Fugazi. I've been listening to an insane amount of Fugazi recently, they're great for post-grading headaches.
    -Relatively melodic hardcore punk, lots of shouting is fine just not constant screaming. AFI, Thought Riot, Thrice, Thursday (only emoish band I can stand) and one I've been listening to recently called Dead Poetic are all good stuff.
    -I don't have enough Metal. Have been enjoying Iced Earth recently.
    -No goddam pop, pop is evil.
    -No folk, emo or other annoyingly-sentimental garbage.
    -Non-English music that isn't strictly derivative of American/English music. I specifically need to expand my Rai and Bhangra collections, but anything original or interesting would be welcome.
    -Entertainingly wierd music like, say, The Cramps or Captain Beefheart.
    -Pretty much anything interesting/different/non-pop.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Maybe.. NOFX, Yellowcard, Blackflag, T.S.O.L... you ought to check those out.. I'm not sure if they meet your criteria exactly but those are my favorite bands.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Walter Ostanek

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
        Maybe.. NOFX, Yellowcard, Blackflag, T.S.O.L... you ought to check those out.. I'm not sure if they meet your criteria exactly but those are my favorite bands.
        NOFX (except few We're the Brews, can't not love that song)
        Blackflag
        Yellowcard and T.S.O.L, don't know 'em. Are they pop-punk?

thanks
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko

NOFX (except few We're the Brews, can't not love that song)
          Blackflag
          Yellowcard and T.S.O.L, don't know 'em. Are they pop-punk?

thanks
          Sorry I wasn't much of a help. Well I tried. Most music I listen to is heavy metal/industrial rock. Not the type you are looking for...
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

KELLY CLARKSON BABY!!!! SINCE U BEEN GONE, BREAKAWAY, BEAUTIFUL DISASTER, ANYTIME ALL GREAT AMERICA CLASSICS!!!!!!!!!
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Sorry I wasn't much of a help. Well I tried. Most music I listen to is heavy metal/industrial rock. Not the type you are looking for...
              Nothing wrong with metal, and the only industrial I have is Einsturzende Neubaten (sp?).

KELLY CLARKSON BABY!!!! SINCE U BEEN GONE, BREAKAWAY, BEAUTIFUL DISASTER, ANYTIME ALL GREAT AMERICA CLASSICS!!!!!!!!!
              Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Dying Fetus

Comment

come guys

YOU CANT FIGHT THE MOONLIGHT, YOUCANT FIGHT IT, YOU CAN TRY TO RESIST, TRY TO HIDE FROM MY KISS, BUT YOU KNOWWW BUT YOU KNOWW THAT YOU CANT FIGHT THE MOONLIGHT

YOU CANT FIGHT IT

its gonna get to your hearT
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Try "American Idiot" by Green Day. Absolutely fabulous album. Not sure if Green Day is 'hard' enough for ya, but thought I'd throw it out there.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Have to second Imran.

Lawrence that was Leanne Rymes.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Recommend Boshko Music!

Originally posted by Boshko
                        -Non-English music that isn't strictly derivative of American/English music. I specifically need to expand my Rai and Bhangra collections, but anything original or interesting would be welcome.
                        *stares in a strangely amphibian way at the monitor*

*slowly, deliberately licks lips*

Well. Um. Considering you like Bhangra and Raï, I assume you're after somewhat uptempo party music for the most part, original as a genre but thoroughly modern and with a wide set of influences.

Er. I could mail you a CD of favourites if you like. Or I could recommend genres and artists. Any particluar sounds you don't like?
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

The Horrorist - Flesh is The Fever

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: Re: Recommend Boshko Music!

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed

*stares in a strangely amphibian way at the monitor*

*slowly, deliberately licks lips*

Well. Um. Considering you like Bhangra and Ra? I assume you're after somewhat uptempo party music for the most part, original as a genre but thoroughly modern and with a wide set of influences.

Er. I could mail you a CD of favourites if you like. Or I could recommend genres and artists. Any particluar sounds you don't like?
                            Well its not that I especially like uptempo party music, its that that's there so very very little good "original as a genre but thoroughly modern" non-western music out there. I remember your thread asking for recommendations about modern but orginal Asian music and the responces you get about how little is out there. Basically anything in that category that's any good is OK, but Rai and Bhangra specifically are both good things.

Hell, I'll take modern un-orginal stuff too as long as it isn't standard derivative pop dreck.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Chaba Zahouania : Nights Without Sleeping

Moroccan gravelly voiced singer, very, very sexy voice. She has as far as I can recall, never been photographed, so don't be deceived by the 'Arabian Nights' woman on the cover.

Songhai : Ketama

Toumani Diabate & Danny Thompson amongst others, formed a group which explored the links between African, North African and Spanish music. Way better than the Gipsy Kings, and not French.

Les Negresses Vertes: Mlah

French collective, combining boulevardier, Pogues & indie to great effect. Terrific live.

Sheila Chandra: The Zen Kiss

If you want to unwind in an Anglo-Bhangra-Celtic way after a hard day torturing children, then this might be a good way. She has explored the vocal possibilities of music from the Indian sub-continent, Islam and Celtic traditions.

Marianne Faithfull: 20th Century Blues/An Evening In The Weimar Republic

Marianne goes bluesy, Weill/Brecht & moody. No longer the angel voiced ex convent girl, this Marianne has been down in the depths and crawled out of the wreckage.

Snakefarm: Songs For My Funeral

Traditional folk & blues updated with a trip hop state of mind.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X