No announcement yet.

Recommend Boshko Music!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal/Hard Rock you may want to check out: The new Judas Priest album (and the old ones as well, if you haven´t done this already), Masterplan, Nightwish, Demons & Wizards (Iced Earth/Blind Guardian combo), Iron Savior, Monster Magnet...

Industrial/Industrial Metal: Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Frontline Assembly
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Oh, I disagree that there's very little. But then I'm biased.

A brief sweep of "the global south" from west to east, excepting Algerian Raï:

Brazil: Funk, or Funk Carioca, or Baile Funk, the music of Rio de Janiero's Shanty-town Favelas. Vaguely reminicent of Miami Bass but more rhythmic and guttural. Download some here

Jamaica: Dancehall, today's electronic post-reggae music. Should be extremely easy to get hold of compared to most others, collections like Strictly the Best and The Biggest Ragga Dancehall Items are stocked in most major cities.

Puerto Rico: Reggaeton, the local dancehall variant, which kicks ass. Big names include Ivy Queen, Tego Calderón, Don Omar, Panamaian El Chombo...

Trinidad: Soca, happy party music in the traditional caribbean mode, updated with samples and synthesisers. VP records' compilation series' D'Soca Zone and Soca Gold are your best bets here. I'm generally against compilations by record companies without local connections, but the selection on Astralwerks' Lif Up Yuh Leg An Trample seems okay, if pointless.

Trinidad again: Chutney! The world's most naturally eclectic music style is this mixture of Soca and Hindi Pop. This compo is good (though western-issued) but I also recommend more updated soca-chutney sounds by the likes of Ricky Jai.

Senegal: Senegalese Hip-Hop rules. Daara J, Positive Black Soul and Pee Froiss are generally considered the forerunners. If you like French Hip-Hop like MC Solaar, this is its grittier, more streetwise cousin.

Ghana: Hip-life. Actually I've never heard any Hip-life myself tohugh it's meant to kick ass with its mixture of Hip-Hop and Highlife. Anyone got hold of any please PM me.

South Africa: Kwaito! House music slowed down to half-pace and rapped over in all 13 official languages. Kicks ass, download some Mandoza or Mzambiya or Arthur (Mafokate) if you don't believe me.

Egypt/Lebanon: Arabic Pop. Very modern these days, though I can't give you specific recommendations. I usually just pass by my local immigrants' market and pick up the latest hit CDs, which I can't read the labels off.

Turkey: Turkpop. Very dramatic, very cool. Ebru Gundes is my favourite but Candan Ercetin, even Tarkan has done some well good stuff.

Tanzania: Bongo Flava! Mzibo.net has a good download section.

India: Filmi/Bollywood music. Look out especially for the underrated eighties stuff, with R.D. Burman being by far the best composer. Insane influence mania from Flamenco to classic Hollywood.

Thailand: Lukthung, the Country-influenced local pop music, and Morlam, it's funkier, more psychedelic laotian-language cousin. If you ever get hold of any Heavy-Metal-influenced Morlam Sing, contact me.

Indonesia: Dangdut, fun fun fun pop music with decided Filmi influences. Love the stuff. Rhoma Irama is the big name here.
      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Oh, I disagree that there's very little. But then I'm biased.
        Correction: in my very personal experience there's a disappointingly high ratio of derivative unoriginal pop : original good stuff in modern non-English language music.

Surprised you didn't mention Antiguan Zouk, not my favorite music by a long shot but very listenable.

Thanks for the listing, I'll get to work on it shortly.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Zouk was fun for a while in the eighties, today it's unfortunately slotted into the inevitable twin groupings of "folk music for earnest middle-aged westerners" and "some kind of second-rate, ill-produced american R&B". A lot of genres end up that way but for every geographical location that turns sour there's generally a new, awesome local genre round the corner.

Comment

One I forgot: Merenhouse or Merengue Rap, from the Dominican Republic and/or New York. Ilegales, Projecto Uno, Fulanito.

In the category of "local commercial music you wouldn't necessarily hear much of on mainstream radio" I'd also include american styles like Crunk, Screw, Bounce and Ghetto-Tech, as well as british Grime and Bhangra.

Comment

Oh and a web search has turned up a small mixed-bag directory of Hiplife MP3s that wasn't there last time I checked:

Comment

"-Entertainingly wierd music like, say, The Cramps or Captain Beefheart.

the only industrial I have is Einsturzende Neubaten"

You have pretty good taste judging by these, but I don't have anything really new to recommend as I'm trying to build a respectable jazz collection these days.

If you haven't ever checked out the Butthole Surfers, I guess I'll recommend Wierd Revolution, it's fun and funny.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Turbonegro is also good. Whacky norwegian stoner rock
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...49666?v=glance)

Pop > you

"mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

Are you open-minded towards electronic music?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Recommend Boshko Music!

Originally posted by Boshko
                        -Music that's been produced since 2003, don't have any really.
                        Patrick Wolf, Bright Eyes, Bloc Party, Joanna Newsom.

-Specifically music that isn't quite as grating as a lot of what I used to listen to in college ( pure screaming ) since the kind of music you want to listen to when you want to unwind after forcing kids to listen to your big mouth all day is different than the kind of music you want after being forced to listen to other people talk at you all day.
                        For unwinding at the end of the day- "Neon Golden" by The Notwist, or anything by Lali Puna.

-Something relatively mellow and lowkey in a vaguely-Fugazi. I've been listening to an insane amount of Fugazi recently, they're great for post-grading headaches.
                        -Relatively melodic hardcore punk, lots of shouting is fine just not constant screaming. AFI, Thought Riot, Thrice, Thursday (only emoish band I can stand) and one I've been listening to recently called Dead Poetic are all good stuff.
                        -I don't have enough Metal. Have been enjoying Iced Earth recently.
                        Get the latest Killing Joke album. You'll love it.

-Non-English music that isn't strictly derivative of American/English music. I specifically need to expand my Rai and Bhangra collections, but anything original or interesting would be welcome.
                        Molly recommends an excellent one in Sheila Chandra. You also need some Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

-Entertainingly wierd music like, say, The Cramps or Captain Beefheart.
                        -Pretty much anything interesting/different/non-pop.
                        "Defixiones:Will and Testament" by Diamanda Galas, if you want a challenge (it's a double-CD concept album about the Armenian genocide and is about as far removed from "Easy Listening" as it's possible to get.
                        Check out Wolf Eyes, The Third Eye Foundation and just about anything by Julian Cope.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

A few more albums I thought of when rummaging through the c.d. collection:

Black Star Liner: Yemen Cutta Connection

Craig Armstrong: Piano Works

Laurent Garnier: Unreasonable Behaviour

St Germain: Boulevard

Arab Strap: Mad For Sadness

Wim Mertens: As Hay In The Sun

Muzsikas: The Bartok Album

Afro-Celt Sound System: Volume 2: Release

Trans-Global Underground: Impossible Broadcasting

Morcheeba: Fragments of Freedom

Cabaret Voltaire: Conform to Deform

Magazine: Real Life

Natacha Atlas: Diaspora

Toumani Diabate: Kaira

Anne Dudley: Ancient and Modern

William Orbit: Strange Cargoes: The Best of

Caroline Lavelle: Moorlough Shore

Eliza Carthy: Red Rice

Towering Inferno: Kaddish

Alpha: ComeFromHeaven

Coil: Unreleased Themes From Hellraiser

Roy Budd: Soundtrack for Get Carter
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Coil: Unreleased Themes From Hellraiser
                            There's a better intro to Coil in "The golden hare with the voice of silver". And now I'm going to have another mope about John Balnce dying.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Got my hands on emule since kazaa lite wasn't cutting it and I'm sure as hell not going to find anything good in a store here, have been DLing hundreds of MP3s and am working on sorting through them so far.

So far:

Get the latest Killing Joke album. You'll love it.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

OK, time to feed Molly's new recs into emule.

Here's what's I'd kept out of what I've DLed so far (still a lot of backlog) based on recs from this thread (seems I don't have too much in common music-taste wise with Laz...):

Admiral T
                                Butthole Surfers
                                El Chombo
                                Cheb Abdou
                                Da Weasel
                                Don Omar
                                Ebru Grundes
                                Frontline Assembly
                                Fulanito
                                Ivy Queen
                                Judas Priest
                                Killing Joke
                                Les Negresses
                                Los Ilegales
                                Mandoza
                                Mr. Vegas
                                N.O.R.E.
                                Roxy Music

Thanks all. Oh and Snapcase, your recs are immensely appreciated, mind giving me a few band recs for the genras that you didn't mention any bands for.
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X