No announcement yet.

Europe's incomes outpaced the rest of the west in 1990-2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm not going to withdraw my disagreement, so I respectfully agree to disagree with you. Europe in my opinion is in big trouble.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
      Well I'm not going to withdraw my disagreement, so I respectfully agree to disagree with you. Europe in my opinion is in big trouble.
      That's fair enough, time will tell which of us is correct (although admittedly time will probably do it's usual thing and prove us both incorrect )
      19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

As far as population and labour forces falling this has been predicted for many, many years - since the 1980's europe's population has been predicted to start to fall in a couple of decades, and again the predicted fall is still 20 years off, as such I think these forecasts are about as relevant as those saying when the oil wil run out (which has been 25-45 years into the future for a century)
        This is a little too glib a treatment in my view. The population of Eastern Europe is already falling and the population of Italy is to start falling in a couple of years. We could go down the list. Of course, some are better off than others.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
        X