Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GOP's bankruptcy bill is so unpopular....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS

Yeh, but it's something that should be used rarely. Unfortunately, bankruptcy is being used routinely nowadays, so the law should be tightened up (after other, more important priorities have been attended to).
    You know what? Bankruptcy was something to be used rarely back when credit was hard to get (and you and I remember, Dan S, as few people do here, just how hard it used to be to get credit). But now you've got the credit industry practically giving away lines of credit -- to jobless students, to people with too much debt already, to people who've already gone bankrupt, fer Chrissake. They're taking gigantic, irrational, fundamentally unsound risks and, when those risks come back to bite them on the ass, they go whining to Congress to tighten up the laws. They're the businessmen, not the guy with the new SUV and plasma screen tv in his double-wide who just found out he has cancer. They're the ones with MBA's, CPA's and spreadsheets up the wazoo. They knew exactly what they were getting into when they decided that easy credit was the future, when they decided that mailing credit cards, unsocilited, to people already deep in debt was now part of the business model. So, f*ck 'em. F*ck 'em 'til they chafe.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Hopefully they'll be f*cked so hard they will suffer an anal prolapse.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oh, and

Yeh, but why should society be required to pay for the legal fees of those getting divorced? Fvck that. They can pay their own damn legal fees.
        It's more then legal fees. Divorce judges are known for being excessively punitivie towards males, leaving them absolutely destitute. In many cases after judges rulings, men are made destitute and would be unable to their debts.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

If they take the risk away from giving credit, they should be forced to charge less interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
            Divorce judges are known for being excessively punitivie towards males, leaving them absolutely destitute.
            Which is odd, because the number one way for women and children to fall into poverty is divorce.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You know what? Bankruptcy was something to be used rarely back when credit was hard to get (and you and I remember, Dan S, as few people do here, just how hard it used to be to get credit). But now you've got the credit industry practically giving away lines of credit -- to jobless students, to people with too much debt already, to people who've already gone bankrupt, fer Chrissake. They're taking gigantic, irrational, fundamentally unsound risks and, when those risks come back to bite them on the ass, they go whining to Congress to tighten up the laws. They're the businessmen, not the guy with the new SUV and plasma screen tv in his double-wide who just found out he has cancer. They're the ones with MBA's, CPA's and spreadsheets up the wazoo. They knew exactly what they were getting into when they decided that easy credit was the future, when they decided that mailing credit cards, unsocilited, to people already deep in debt was now part of the business model. So, f*ck 'em. F*ck 'em 'til they chafe.
              First, I made medical stuff a special case, so that guy's going to have to lose his job or get divorced for your scenario to work. Second, I think this is a balance of who gets the screwing -- both the creditor and debtor deserve their share. I have no problem with most of your post because of this.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

good thread Shi
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Which is odd, because the number one way for women and children to fall into poverty is divorce.

Not that odd-- both sides in a divorce always take a hit-- Its inevitable when presumably the same income that supported one household now has to pay for two
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

that's because of deadbeet dads

Comment

It's more then legal fees. Divorce judges are known for being excessively punitivie towards males, leaving them absolutely destitute. In many cases after judges rulings, men are made destitute and would be unable to their debts.
                      There's a fellow I knew in the Army whose wife left him when we were in Kosovo (she told him to ignore the military orders or she'd leave him; like he could do that without going to jail) and he got a delay until we returned stateside. Once back though the court reamed him royal and between spousal support and child support he had to pay 80% (!!!!) of his income to her. He was only making $36k per year and there is no way a man can survive on the remaining $600 per month.

He had to declare bankruptcy and move back in with his parents. That's how most guys get treated in divorce court and that's one reason why I'm not getting married to my girlfriend any time soon.
                      Last edited by Dinner; March 11, 2005, 06:02.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The Republicans have absolutely pwned themselves. When this thing starts f*cking over middle-class families in the swing states the Republicans better get ready for President John Edwards.

Comment

The lawyer liability could be the most significant fact here. This could really discourage alot of lawyers from practicing in the field, making filling a bankruptcy much harder.
                          I would not worry about it much. The debtor's attornies around my area are already somewhat the dregs, and supply a very disproportiantely large share of the displinary cases for my Bar region, commonly for fraudulent asset concealing submissions to the bankruptcy court. Thay do seem to have some progress in cleaning it up in the past decade. As for the debtors, I do do not recall having ever seen a personnal banruptcy that did not invovle soom fraud/concealments of assets, but my experience is limit to a dozen or so cases.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

What is the problem DanS?

Why don't the credit card companies simply write in the risk from bankrupticies into their interest rates?

That's what you are supposed to do if you are a responsible lender - make some provision for loans that won't get repaid.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                              The Republicans have absolutely pwned themselves. When this thing starts f*cking over middle-class families in the swing states the Republicans better get ready for President John Edwards.
                              Swing states, nothing; the states with the highest rates of personal bankruptcies are -- you guessed it -- dyed-in-the-wool red states. Remember all those grinning rednecks who posted their pictures on WereNotSorry.com? Looks like its time for WhosSorryNow.com.
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

And they do. However, that interest rate is applied to all the credit card company's customers. That means that people who do not go bankrupt are subsidizing the people who do, not the credit card companies.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X