No announcement yet.

LA: We are bad voters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:06.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
      Yeah I live here.

You don't remember the whole argument we had about LAX???
      Oh about Jim's little money dumping into a project that would produce next to nothing in results? Oh yeah I remember that. What part of LA are you in? Torrance? J/k
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
        There are many exotic neighboorhoods here that own other cities.

Malibu, Palos Verdes, and all the beach cities except for Venice are really nice and unique areas.

LA is the most diverse city in the entire country, and that's what's so great about it.
        My grandparents had a 5 acre ranch house in Palos Verdes. They bought it in the 1950's for around $40k and supposedly my grandmother was upset that my grandfather had insisted on buying such an absurdly expensive piece of property. They sold it in 1994 for around $1 million but if they had it today it'd be worth around $2-$3 million.

Downtown LA is coming along but it's still dirty and messy compared to San Diego's downtown. Don't get me wrong it has things going in the right direction but one subway line does not a mass transit system make plus traffic is 10 times worse in LA then down south. Staples Center was a nice start as was the new theater/events center but it doesn't make it a downtown as compared to just another neighborhood. The idea of a new mall downtown will give the economy downtown new life but it still doesn't (to quote stein) mean there is a there there.

Instead of plowing up the historic sites to make yet another commuter mall people have to drive to they should preserve the historic buildings since that is the one thing downtown has which the rest of LA's sprawl doesn't. Instead the major and his flunkies have opted to bulldoze the historic section and replace it with fresh sprawl which is doomed to be crap in 25 years. It isn't even mixed use buildings and instead still has residential separate from commercial which would be separate from office spaces. LA still hasn't figured out there is a better way to design cities.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:06.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

That said I still like the Grand Ave Project as currently the area simply blows huge dockey ****. I just which they'd try to do more to save historical sites rather then just replace them with ugly strip malls.

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:07.

Comment

where the hell would we get our water, genius?
                did you read my post? you wouldnt get any water, and LA would die a slow and horrible death.

Stealing North Cal's water? The water belongs to the state and 50% of the state's population lies LA or south. You complain about over population meaning a lack of open space in southern California but you should be happy that the water projects and the economic growth keep people in the south instead of moving north who'd lose their open space in a heart beat with the millions and millions of people we have in the south.
                oh, and also from the colorado river too. you guys steal from there too. people dont move north cuz we are anti growth. if LA was anti growth too, people would move out. you see, we like our air to be relatively free of toxic gases.

BTW you seem to think all of Southern California is the same as LA which is incorrect. It's a big place and LA just represents the worst of it while Orange County, San Diego County, Imperial County, riverside County, and San Bernardino all represent entirely different ways of life/urban planning. I happen to like San Diego's idea of preserving open space and building density based housing so rail and mass transit becomes viable. That's a remarkably different vision of city planning then LA.
                perhaps in your part of San Diego its nice, but i have no illusions on the areas that i will live in, and its pretty depressing. the beaches are nice, but inland isnt so much. those apartments/ houses that you gave me links to are nice, but I dont have a car, and even if i did, im looking at lots of money for gas.
                oh and while the OC has its good points, its also 30 minutes driving to go anywhere (one direction) and that again promotes malls, highways and other ugly complexes.

And if it wasn't for Southern california, the economy of California as a whole would be next to nothing. Lets face it, southern california has and always will be the economic powerhouse of Southern California. You want economic growth in this state then let us have the water that's rightfully ours! And damn, California is one state, it isn't two states (Northern and Southern California). It is California's water and the state has the right to do what it wants with it.
                water from norcal is not rightfully yours. you are stealing it from us, and we have to pay higher prices for it. people in LA pollute like no other, get water for discount rates, and are the biggest wasters of resources. it might look nice compared to a 3rd world craphole, but LA is everything that is bad about urban sprawl. you create so many negative externalities that it cancels out any economic productivty you might have. now that i think about it, there should be an LA tax on all citizens not living in LA proper.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

did you read my post? you wouldnt get any water, and LA would die a slow and horrible death.
                  Oh please. What is your problem? Are you immature or something? SoCal (not just LA) is the economic powerhouse. WTF do you want? To blow up the entire state you are at it? To force the state into anarchy? You're braindead.

water from norcal is not rightfully yours. you are stealing it from us, and we have to pay higher prices for it. people in LA pollute like no other, get water for discount rates, and are the biggest wasters of resources. it might look nice compared to a 3rd world craphole, but LA is everything that is bad about urban sprawl. you create so many negative externalities that it cancels out any economic productivty you might have. now that i think about it, there should be an LA tax on all citizens not living in LA proper.
                  WATER FROM NORCAL IS RIGHTFULLY OURS, AS WE ARE ALL CALIFORNIANS. This state is ours. And I'm sorry LA is the biggest largest economic powerhouse in California.. without it.. admit it or not this state would be nothing. I hate to break it to you, but LA no matter how ugly is the economic backbone to this state. Industry is a backbone here. You are so braindead it is unbelieveable. I never said I liked how LA was planned out, but it is still the powerhouse of California. You are so horribly wrong in just about everything else though. You should be kicked out of this state. In fact kicked out of this country. Exiled to Cuba.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

LA is the only city retarded enough to live next to an ocean and have to steal water...
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                      LA is the only city retarded enough to live next to an ocean and have to steal water...
                      Ocean water is salt water. Yeah.. go ahead drink it.

Comment

Comment

Cars are cheap. You can find a used one for $1000 and a four cylinder will likely get 30 mpg so gas shouldn't cost that much. Where do you need to go where you can't get mass transit? I know SDSU has a trolley stop right on campus and there are special bus lines which go to UCSD and USD.

In land areas a nice if you get out of the city. San Diego County is larger then the states of New Jersey and Conneticut combined yet 60% of it's area is protected from development by State parks, county parks, federal wild life refuges, national monuments, or other forms of protection which stop development (like military reservations). We have wonderful mountains full of great hiking, waterfalls, and wild life plus large sections of the coastal plain and the beach front are protected from development and many of these areas are open for hiking, bike ride, hourse back riding for the public. If you like water sports then this is heaven with tons of inland waterways & beaches to swim, surf, kayak, jet sky, or boat. And if you want to be miles and miles away from any other person then in a hour you can be in the middle of the Anza-Berrego Desert without another human in site.

You need to hitch a ride with some friends who like the out doors so you can see the natural bueaty of this area before you just write it off.

Comment

Comment

Ted I was just doing some exploratory work on what buttons I could push.

But, seriously, Fez, how is LA "bleeding"?
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                                But, seriously, Fez, how is LA "bleeding"?
                                Oh let me just say the 101 and 405. Any Californians would know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X