No announcement yet.

Liberals against democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting that the Dems are trying to strangle this baby in its crib. Without doing an in depth analysis it would seem that as the minority party they would have something to gain nationally by this amendment passing and redistricting being turned over to some "non-partisan" body, even if in the short run they may lose a little bit in California.

I hope they fail though. It's a good idea to try and breathe some life into representative democracy here in the U.S., and California is the poster child for what's wrong with our system. Of course getting rid of districts entirely and having everyone run at large is an even better idea.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

At-large elections would be a great idea for California, with its many congressional seats. Third parties would become very viable.

It would get more moderates elected, and it'd also get a couple of extremists into Congress as well.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
        At-large elections would be a great idea for California, with its many congressional seats. Third parties would become very viable.

It would get more moderates elected, and it'd also get a couple of extremists into Congress as well.
        Yea, for the first time in history a group that actually represents the voters rather than a carefully selected plurality.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          I'm a Democrat and the govanator's plan will likely cost my party seats in the state house but it will be good for democracy in this state. Arnie wants to remove the jerrymandering that the politicians do to create "safe districts" in which they will never lose an election. Instead redistricting would be done by a nonpartisan panel of judges who would be legally outlawed from looking at pst voting records or anything other then the total population and trying to make each district as compact geographically as possible.

Naturally, partisans from the Democratic party are upset because this means California will no longer be jerrymandered in their favor but Republicans will still have Texas jerrymandered to the point that competetive elections simply cannot be held there. It sucks but we need to set the example of what a real democracy looks like and not sink to the level of Texas.

word
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
            No I didn't get PWNED.
            PWNED, PWNED, PWNED
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

But it is a good part of it.

Ahhh, welcome to democratic China, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq and Soviet Era Rumania.

Oh, and the College of Cardinals too, all bastions of democracy, freedom of speech and thought, as certified by The P. P. P. Party, symbol: black helicopters over a South Atlantic expanse (for those illiterate voters).
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I have a better idea. Why not let a computer design the districts? Write a program that would carve the state up into equal populated districts with the minimum average geographical surface area or driving distance.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

He has to rely on out of state money because he screwed California already with his workers comp plan that favors the insurance industry at the expense of California businesses and workers.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                    Of course getting rid of districts entirely and having everyone run at large is an even better idea.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                      He has to rely on out of state money because he screwed California already with his workers comp plan that favors the insurance industry at the expense of California businesses and workers.
                      What a load of crap! He is doing a lot to help this state and we don't need some freaking communist telling us how to run things. His bill favored the free market.
                      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Californians don't need any fascist Argentines pretending to be Americans, either.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Californians don't need any fascist Argentines pretending to be Americans, either.
                          who the **** exactly is that? I'm a voting citizen, fool.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The governor's plan is a very good idea. Gerrymandering is a huge problem in this country which leads to a problem where public officials don't need to be accountable, as there is virtually no chance they will be kicked out of office. Combine a handpicked district with large amount of pork barrel spending and you have an undefeatable politician who can do whatever he wants.

The problem is worse with state assemblies. With Congress as a whole there are enough swing districts to make the control of congress switchable between parties given time, and the Republican and Democratic gerrymandering balance each other out. But with the state legislature, usually both the House and Senate are gerrymandered, unliked the Federal Senate where gerrymandering is impossible because Senators are determined by States. And because a State gets to determine the legislative districts for itself, it means the entire legislature is picked by one party, unlike the Federal Congress which is a mixture of GOP gerrymandered seats, Dem Gerrymandered Seats, and a few states which don't gerrymander. The result is one party has a lock on control of the State Legislature and it is almost impossible to change party control of the legislature.

It would be good if California provided a role model in ending the system. But the system has a large number of beneficiaries who I suspect will fight to the death to preserve the status quo here. A number of Congressmen who would potentially face getting kicked out of office with the loss of their gerrymandered district will oppose this with all of their political mussel. Not just the Congressmen, but also their staffs who will all lose their jobs if this plan goes through. Add to all of that Democratic Partisans and Interest groups who will fight the possible loss of some house seats.

There will definitely be an all out ad war agains this, but opposition could get even nastier. It wouldn't suprise me if those retired judges wouldn't possibly face very large bribes to get them to present a gerrymandered district plan.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Of course getting rid of districts entirely and having everyone run at large is an even better idea.

Texas Gerrymandering

Republicans
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

His bill favored the free market.
                                Duh.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X