Liberals against democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberals against democracy

"Sacramento -- A liberal grassroots network that helped fuel Howard Dean's maverick run for president is crackling back to life to fight Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's ballot initiative drive, another sign that the governor's plans for a special election this year could produce a costly and fiercely partisan battle.

California for Democracy, the state arm of a national group that raised millions of dollars for Dean over the Internet, is planning a high-tech campaign targeting the Republican governor, who wraps up an out-of-state fund- raising tour in Washington today.

The group's re-emergence came as a committee closely aligned with Schwarzenegger began running television advertisements Monday urging voters to seek out signature-gatherers and sign up.

But volunteers from California for Democracy hope to frustrate those efforts. They plan to use the Web and mobile technology to keep roughly 9,000 supporters abreast of the whereabouts of signature-gatherers for Schwarzenegger ballot initiatives. Organizers say volunteers will then head to those locations to distribute the group's leaflets denouncing the planned special election, which opponents note will cost as much as $70 million."

--------

Yeah lets stop an initative that could let the people vote on particular propositions.... what a moronic group.. I hope they don't stop us voters for getting to vote on intiatives and propositions. I think we have a right to vote on our propositions and the cost is well worth it considering what would be on the ballot.

Opinions?
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

California for Democracy, the state arm of a national group that raised millions of dollars for Dean over the Internet, is planning a high-tech campaign targeting the Republican governor, who wraps up an out-of-state fund- raising tour in Washington today.
    Here's an opinion. What is Schwarzenegger doing outside California? He's YOUR governor. Are there not enough California Republicans to fund him? You might as well have Bush going to fundraisers in Canada.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I find the concept of an out-of-state fund raising tour to be odd. Why let people from other states influence a Californian election by boosting Arnold's campaign slushfund?
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Bloody hell, you might even have Nevadans staying overnight in Sacremento!

Sacre bleu!
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
          I find the concept of an out-of-state fund raising tour to be odd. Why let people from other states influence a Californian election by boosting Arnold's campaign slushfund?
          I agree.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So let me get this straight:

The Gubernator using tv ads to urge people to seek out signature-gatherers supporting his initiative = democracy

A protest group showing up at the same place as the signature-gatherers to distribute leaflets opposing the Gubernator's plan = suppressing democracy

So democracy = freedom to speak exclusively in support of the people in power

I think I liked you better when you wore your fascism on your sleeve, Skippy.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It´s not his fault, really... Some people just can´t help it
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

No I didn't get PWNED. I think we have a right to vote on initatives that get to ballot. This group is trying to crush those attempts at democracy. Our governor is trying to raise awareness in the federal government so we can get more help to put our state back online.

Oh and speaking of this, I just voted in the LA Muncipal elections. I think this is a very sad day in LA's history because the turn out was so bad.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Trouble is that no-one is questioning the right to "vote on initiatives that get to ballot", they're just acting against the politicking of Arnie. It's a similar action to refuting a politicians claims... or aren't we allowed to do that any more?
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Arnold is a great governor, and you leftists will not hijack this state ever again. We had enough of you under the regime of Gray Davis.

Comment

Voting doesn't inherently equal democracy.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                        Voting doesn't inherently equal democracy.
                        But it is a good part of it.

Comment

No I didn't get PWNED.
                          Yes you did.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            Yes you did.
                            oh just because you say so? Sava you are always wrong with the exception of speaker systems.

Comment

I'm a Democrat and the govanator's plan will likely cost my party seats in the state house but it will be good for democracy in this state. Arnie wants to remove the jerrymandering that the politicians do to create "safe districts" in which they will never lose an election. Instead redistricting would be done by a nonpartisan panel of judges who would be legally outlawed from looking at pst voting records or anything other then the total population and trying to make each district as compact geographically as possible.

Naturally, partisans from the Democratic party are upset because this means California will no longer be jerrymandered in their favor but Republicans will still have Texas jerrymandered to the point that competetive elections simply cannot be held there. It sucks but we need to set the example of what a real democracy looks like and not sink to the level of Texas.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X