Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be silent, computer!!!!

That's it. I've decided, no more games.

I'll part with hard earned 130 euros and buy a fanless power supply.

After that, I'll put the hard disk in a box, connect one side of a homemade air duct tube to the box and put a big (120 mm) fan on the other, which will rotate slowly to cool it. The air duct will be all bent like a snake, I'll make the tube from some sponge-like material to soak in all the vibrations.

I'm going to cool my processor with watercooling, and this is important - without any fans. I think the radiator can handle it with convection alone.

I wanted to make this a totally fanless solution, but sadly I can't figure another way to cool the hard disc. Since I'll put it in a box, passive coolers won't be able to do it.

DEATH TO COMPUTER NOISE!!

(especially high pitched, man I hate this hard disc)

Anyway, what are your expiriences, how have you silenced your PCs? Or do you not care?

Personally, I'm ready to give up performance for silence. I have done so opting for a slower video card with only a passive cooler. I have had parts for the other things lying around for ages, but today, I decided it has been ENOUGH! I do this.

This one.

The cheapest I could find. Others are well over 200 euros. But since I run a low end system, it will be enough.

Comment

And from the same company, I was eyeing this:

Sadly, even these huge monstrosities can't handle the heat with natural convection only and you need to use at least one fan, case fan if nothing else. I hate fans with a vengeance, so I decided to go with a watercooling system I'll build. Its radiator will be outside of the case, so hopefully, it will be able to function without a fan.

Comment

My PSU has a 120MM and 80MM fan and the only thing I hear are they hard-drives. I have looked for silent fan solutions. Fans that are built in a way.. I have a 480 watt Demon Powmax Power supply. I have 8 80MM fans on my case.. all are LEDs.. and these are silent fans.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Yeah, many people are slowing down their fans, using bigger fans and so on and results can be quite good. But I want to get rid of noise once and for all, so I want to go fanless. It seems I'll have to keep one fan. Damn.

Comment

Well it isn't really practical to get rid of all fans even if you have water cooling. You need to get air circulation in your machine.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I'll keep it open. Air is wellcome to circulate all over it

Comment

Can't they make hard discs that are silent, for those of us who will pay extra for them? All hard discs I ever had were noisy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  Can't they make hard discs that are silent, for those of us who will pay extra for them? All hard discs I ever had were noisy as hell.
                  I paid a little more for Maxtor Silent hard-drives.. but even those make a small amount of noise (nothing like the regular ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

I paid a little more for Maxtor Silent hard-drives.. but even those make a small amount of noise (nothing like the regular ones).
                    Which model are you talking about?
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Why not just buy a couple of extension chords for the peripherals, and put the thing in the fridge where it belongs.

Then you could even grab a snack or something if you have to load a new CD.

Comment

beer cooler tower.

mmmm

Comment

VetLegion the easyest solution is to drill a hole in the wall and to leave the PC case outside of the room where you are staying. I assume that your walls are thick enough to isolate the noise that your machine is producing currently.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Even locating your case away from where you sit with long cords will help since intensity dereases as an inverse of distance squared.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Re: Be silent, computer!!!!

Originally posted by VetLegion
                              That's it. I've decided, no more games.

I'll part with hard earned 130 euros and buy a fanless power supply.

After that, I'll put the hard disk in a box, connect one side of a homemade air duct tube to the box and put a big (120 mm) fan on the other, which will rotate slowly to cool it. The air duct will be all bent like a snake, I'll make the tube from some sponge-like material to soak in all the vibrations.

I'm going to cool my processor with watercooling, and this is important - without any fans. I think the radiator can handle it with convection alone.

I wanted to make this a totally fanless solution, but sadly I can't figure another way to cool the hard disc. Since I'll put it in a box, passive coolers won't be able to do it.

DEATH TO COMPUTER NOISE!!

(especially high pitched, man I hate this hard disc)

Anyway, what are your expiriences, how have you silenced your PCs? Or do you not care?

Personally, I'm ready to give up performance for silence. I have done so opting for a slower video card with only a passive cooler. I have had parts for the other things lying around for ages, but today, I decided it has been ENOUGH! I do this.
                              my new computer has a really quiet fan. It seems to keep everything cool enough. Even in summer when I keep my house at 82 F (27.7 C).

My old computer was extremely noisey though. Sounded like a jet engine. okay that's a slight exaggeration, but only slight.

Comment

Working...
                              X