Assassinations, the Supreme court.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassinations, the Supreme court.

America hasn't had a credible assassination attempt in a while. The last one that happened was that attempt on Reagan. And that was perpretrated by a non-political nutcase if that movie I watched about is to be believed.

Anywhoo. Why is that? I figure with 300 M people at least one is going to be crazy and organized enough to pose a credible threat.

Also I've been thinking if there were to be an assassination attempt, it would be on a Supreme court justice . The far left has been castrated, and the right doesn't like certain members of the court.

If abortion activists really believe that abortion is murder, than wouldn't they feel fully justified trying to overturn Roe v. Wade with a gun. Which brings up the question what would happen if an S.C. Judge were to be assassinated would public pressure force Bush to appoint someone in favor of abortion?

I guess it depends on whether or not the assassin could be linked to any right for life groups.

Caveat: I respect people who believe abortion is wrong or vice versa, actually respect is too strong. I don't care. I haven't had to deal with it personally so I'll cross that bridge if I ever reach it.
    Accidently left my signature in this post.

secret service are badass.

'nuff said

as for judges, yeah you would think some anti-abortion nut would have offed a few of them by now. My guess is they just aren't organized enough to track and find them.

Comment

secret service are badass.

Actually I think it has a lot to do with the monitoring of fringe groups. So I'd give more credit to the FBI, and the cross dressing Hoover; Than I would to the Secret Service. Even during the 60s the assassinations were done by lone gun men.
      Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

America hasn't had a credible assassination attempt in a while.
        Tell that to Joan Lefkow.
        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

If anyone were to try assassinating a political leader, it would be a leftist. There is so much hatred towards Bush out there, I could picture some communist or anarchist or something trying it.

Plus then the curse would be fufilied.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
            If anyone were to try assassinating a political leader, it would be a leftist. There is so much hatred towards Bush out there, I could picture some communist or anarchist or something trying it.

Or how about those nutty right-wing militia types? You know, the ones with penchants for blowing up Federal Buildings and the like?

I seem to remember anthrax being sent to Tom Daschle's office, not the White House. Does that count as an assassination attempt?
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Considering Republicans are in control of damn near everything in the government, I'm thinking the rightwingers don't really have a lot to be mad about.

Those who are out of power are the ones who turn violent, not the ones who are getting their way. ....unless you are saying Bush is a liberal president...?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Considering Republicans are in control of damn near everything in the government, I'm thinking the rightwingers don't really have a lot to be mad about.

Those who are out of power are the ones who turn violent, not the ones who are getting their way. ....unless you are saying Bush is a liberal president...?
                Look up what ultra-rightie and paramilitary groups think of Bush.

Bush may be rightwing, but he's also a Big Govuhment, authoritarian rightwinger. The ultra-right hate that more than anything else, and they don't care if a president is republican or democrat.

And yeah, by the nutcase standards of the right, Bush is liberal.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

With how much the rightwingers hated Clinton, and considering they never made a credible assassination attempt, I'm thinking they aren't going to go for Bush. Leftists though... possibly.

Comment

An article from the Friday, November 18, 1994 issue of The Tech - MIT's oldest and largest newspaper and the first newspaper published on the Internet.

Short memories we have!

And possibly...monkeys might fly out of your derrier. Anything is possible, dear OzzyKP. It's a question of likelihood.

In terms of groups in the U.S. that have engaged in armed violence against the government, the awards go to right-wing groups, be it militia nuts or religious nuts. And considering it's the utra-right that has the hard-on for any weaponry they can get, I think it is just as likely one of their ranks would make a "credible" assassination attempt against a leader. Again, if you think they have any love for "Patriot Act" Bush, you're gravely mistaken.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Commies don't do assassinations except as part of a guerilla war. The couple assassinations in the U.S. committed by anarchists were usually by nut-bags who thought they were anarchists (such as the guys who killed McKinely and Chicago Mayor Cermak) but didn't know what anarchism was. Most assassinations in the U.S. have been carried out by right-wing nutbags.

The key here is, nut-bag. There has been no organized political movement in the U.S. that ever considered assassintation a legitimate tactic.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Except the CIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          Except the CIA.

They aren't a political movement, and some would say they aren't organized.

I do, however, have to correct myself. The KKK had a policy in the 19th and for most of ther 20th century of carrying out assassinations against government officials and prominent leaders of whatever it was the KKK hated.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

With how much the rightwingers hated Clinton, and considering they never made a credible assassination attempt, I'm thinking they aren't going to go for Bush. Leftists though... possibly.
                            Ozzy, Bush isn't that right ring compared some of these groups out there who want either an fundamentalist Christian state, or a sort of Anarchy where the Gov't has no power. Can you at least imagine why Ruby Ridge types who are afraid of the government might not like Bush with all he has done to encroach on civil liberties?

In fact, I'd say the extreme right wing might even have more reasons to hate Bush than the Extreme left. Remember, I'm talking extremes, as in probably no one who posts here.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara The key here is, nut-bag. There has been no organized political movement in the U.S. that ever considered assassintation a legitimate tactic.
                              Exactly. And there is no shortage of nut-bags on the Left.

Comment

Working...
                              X