Honor killings.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramo
    Why on Earth would any government do something so facist as discourage arranged marriages? All y'all are off your rockers. A goodly portion of the world works just fine with an arranged marriage system.

Arranged marriages "work" because it's quite difficult for women to get out of said marriages in societies where they're prominent.
    Not always, apparently they're still quite popular among upper-class Koreans
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Yep, along with many Arab countries, India, and Pakistan
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
        Given how in the USA 50% of marriages end in divorce, we are not in a strong position to criticize other cultures on this.
        A common misconception that goes along with this stat is that 50% of people get divorced. Many people who get divorces often marry and subsequently get divorced again, thus skewing that statistic a tad. A better stat would take into account serial divorcers.

Plus, I don't see how forced arranged marriages where the woman has no choice for divorce is any better. Absolutely we are in a position to criticize other cultures. WE'RE AMERICANS FOR ****'S SAKE!

I don't see divorce as a problem, necessarily. I see people getting married when they probably shouldn't, as the problem.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I know of people who get married for financial aid purposes (it's the easiest method for becoming classified as financially independent), I'm not sure though if this is a uniquely American phenomenon.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I live in India , and the parents may whine , but they will not honour-kill someone if they go for a normal marriage . Arranged marriages are the norm , though , because nobody wants the responsibility of having to choose and maintain a partner and a relationship . The parents may object , but there's not much else they do .

Note that I'm talking about educated Indians ( now the majority ) , not illiterates .

Comment

What are your plans in that regard aneeshm?

Comment

Well?

Comment

Non-arranged marriage .

Comment

I was kind of hoping you'd say the opposite, so I could hear a first-hand explanation of reasoning behind agreeing to go for arranged marriage from an educated individual.

It's a bit hard for me to understand. It seems to take tremendous willpower.

Comment

Was honor killing ever a feature of Indian society? I wasn't aware that it was.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                      X