Let the good times roll -- 248,000 new jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oerdin
    Reagan wanted to control inflation so he raised interest rates.
    That's not the president's job. It's the Fed's job.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• there are some people here who have no clue. . . i hope those who are will never be in a position to make any decisions that relate to economics.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Just to point out a major problem with your reasoning Giancarlo...

Originally posted by Giancarlo
        It is a popular misconception that Presidents Bush and Clinton inherited large deficits "baked in the cake" from Reagan policies. When Reagan left the White House in January 1989, the fiscal outlook was expected to continue to improve rather than worsen. In that month, the CBO released its long-term forecast for the economy and the budget deficit.

Table 7 shows that the deficit was expected to continue to fall steadily to $110 billion and 1.5 percent of GDP by 1995.
        Those forecasts were bases on continued growth of around 3% in the economy, but as you say...

Originally posted by Giancarlo
        The economy works in cycles, and after a period of expansion there is usually a slow-down or recession. That's why the 1991 recession occurred.
        So the forecasts were based on the economic cycle never happening (a consistant problem with CBO forecasts).

You can either claim that the fiscal situation was much better than is percieved or you can claim that the 1991 recession was a 'natural' occurance of the business cycle - you can't claim both (which is what you are doing).
        19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo
          There is a cycle... policies put in effect from previous boom periods impact future booms. Clintons policies lead to the boom in the late 90s? Keep dreaming. That was private sector driven.
          I agree, it was private sector driven, a private sector driven BUBBLE that is, caused by deregulation.

Comment

• I'm sure the motivation behind this thread was strictly economic also!
            Hey, you seem to be forgetting that Roland always accused me of economic cheerleading during Clinton's term.

Of course, he could have said that because I didn't live up to his highly refined sense of dourness, and the dourness of all you killjoys in this thread.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
            X